Just Starting

kitten992107_
on 12/19/16 11:47 am

Hi there everyone,

I am starting this process again(long story). Just to sum up this times motive I have recently been diagnosed  with pros and endometrial hyperplasia, witch at the moment is pre cancerous.Working on having an officially diagnosis of sleep apnea just had the test done. I have been to multiple doc apt cause I am 30 years old and won't to have kids but with a bmi of over 60 I won't be able to do that.So that is my main goal for doing this is to be able to have kids and to be healthy. So my question is that once you guys have the surgery how do you handle the food once you eat solids again, like using my fitness pal?,I just hope that with all these diagnosis that I won't qualify for this help of the surgery,and I have undoubtedly f***ed myself.

HELP PLZ

Referral-10/30/2018, Orientation-January/30/2019,

Mahalo F.
on 12/19/16 12:38 pm

Hello

I wish that I can help you!

I have no experience to share.

There is a forum for post surgery pregnancies.

Click on the three lines at the top, click on forums,

click on post op pregnancies and take time to read the various stories.

Good luck 

Mahalo

OneBlueSock
on 12/20/16 4:55 am
RNY on 06/21/17

Hi there!

You've taken the first step to 'unf**cking*' yourself by coming here and asking for help with how to handle things going forward....it's a big step.

I'm also starting this process again, sort of - I had a lap-band done in 2006 and it was initially successful....but adding in hypothyroidism, pregnancy (post-surgery baby!) and my own issues with food that I didn't really address until a couple years ago, I gained it all back and then some.  

What I've learned from my experiences is that I 110% need a solid support system...with multiple legs.   I need the forums here, I need a therapist, I need meds for my depression and anxiety, I need support from my husband, my friends, my family.  I need all these things that I didn't think I needed the first go round.  Now I'm working towards a revision early next year. 

During my successful phase I tracked all my food and exercise using MyPlate, and then later MFP.   I, too, was afraid I'd never be able to have a child given how large I was, my thyroid issues, and a bevy of other fears.    

I think the best thing you can do now is continue to post here, and talk to your doctors, be very clear with your surgeon that you've got these diagnoses and you're worried what the impact will be going forward.  They can help give you clearer information than we probably can because they know your health history

Good luck to you! :)

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

kitten992107_
on 12/20/16 9:25 am

Thank ypu for the reply I am working on telling my family,witch. I know will ne supportive my boyfriends is with me 100% just some friends said they dont believe in it but would be supportive and i just dont know how that would work.

Insert Fitness
on 12/20/16 5:11 am

Hi welcome to the boards! You've already received a lot of great info. As one blue sock said, you need to find your support system. 

In addition, you have a list of reasons for wanting surgery. Build on it. And refer to it often. When things get hard, or I feel complacent, I look at my list, I log on here, or I check out other wls accounts on instagram. It gives me the boost I need.

I can't speak to what will or won't qualify you for surgery, but what you describe are key reasons for having it done where I'm from in Canada.

good luck and keep posting!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

kitten992107_
on 12/20/16 9:22 am

Thank you for the response ,I am for canada as well, i am working up the courage to talk to my family about it but I know i will get the support from them and my boyfriend just some of my friends I donno how they are going to do.

Insert Fitness
on 12/20/16 12:25 pm

I was very open about my decision to have surgery, Other than my husband, I only told people once I had a surgery Date and it was about a month away. I also let people know it was a decision that was already made. To be honest, I don't know how most people feel about the surgery, because I didn't really open it up for debate. This was an important decision, and I made it with input from my husband, family dr and the clinic I attended. 

dont get me Wrong, I answered all their questions etc. But they were mostly on the medical or logistics of it. Things like, what even is wls Hahahah. I also look at why people say the things they do. If something might be construed as hurtful,  Is it from love/concern or innocent ignorance, then I will spend lots of time explaining things to you. If it is to make yourself feel better, or if you just want to be right, or willfully ignorant. Ain't nobody got time for that.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/22/16 12:06 pm

With your BMI being over 60, I highly recommend you look at the duodenal switch procedure (DS). One of the reasons I wanted it, was that it is the best at resolving metabolic issues like PCOS which often causes fertility issues and cause other co-morbs. It's also the most effective of the weight loss surgeries for weight loss, maintenance of that loss, and resolving co-morbs (especially type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and metabolic issues). There is a closed group on FB just for DSers that become pregnant after the DS). Most surgeons have us sign something to use TWO forms of birth control the first year, and some the first 2 years post op, as there is a surge in fertility, but your body is taxed, as well as dumping a lifetime supply of stored toxins out of you fat cells, so best to get past the initial rapid with loss before even thinking about getting pregnant.

The draw back is that you must be vigilant with supplements as you malabsorb (also with gastric bypass - Rny) and that is particularly important if you want to grow babies. By vigilant I mean you will want to verify adequate labs are drawn on a regular basis, not just the minimum that many physicians tend to default to, and then monitor them and not assume your physician is on top of it. Their ears often don't perk up till there is already a deficiency with something. If you can't or won't commit to that, then the DS or gastric bypass are not for you, and you may want to look at something like the sleeve (same stomach configuration at the DS, without the malabsorbtion). With a BMI of 60, the sleeve probably won't get off as much weight or maintain the loss. Keeping your own pyloric valve on the stomach with DS and sleeve is a big deal, as replacing it with a man made stoma as RNY has, leads to problems like dumping and a much higher rate reactive hypoglycemia.

With the DS or sleeve you can also take NSAIDs in the future if necessary (within reason of course, as they are not easy on ANYones stomach), which you cannot with gastric bypass. Ever. Do lots of research first. It's easier now, then after you've been cut and have regrets.

kitten992107_
on 12/22/16 4:54 pm

Wow that is alot of good information i will definally do the research and that all that into consideration, i am still in the early stages bu definatly doing research i justbwas told by some people i dont get to choose with surgury i have, so that is not true?

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/24/16 2:17 am

It should be up to the patient, as WE have to live with what ever surgery we have, and they all have different outcomes and different requirements. I was set on the DS because studies showed it had the best results for things that applied to me, had the fewest restrictions on what I could eat (in fact we often eat MORE fat, because we malabsorb it - yum) preserved my pyloric valve, was most successful with higher BMIs, and knew I could commit to the supplements as well as monitoring the labwork. Not all surgeons can perform it, so I also learned that we don't always get facts or good advice from surgeons that only do other procedures.

You can get the DS in Canada, but have to get to the right surgeon. If I were you, I'd print the medical studies that were relevant to me (like one addressing high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, and high BMIs, were all relevant to me).

There is a site that has links to many medical studies (real ones, not biased junk by questionable sources) and articles, as well as a list of all the surgeons known to do DS by state or country. There is also a lot of other great information there about all the surgeries. You can peruse all that at DSfacts.com. It's probably the number one place to be able to find info on all the above stuff, that is accurate, and all consolidated at one place. 

Most Active