Who Started out as a light weight?

ebonymc
on 5/6/15 6:30 pm

Hello!  I know there is a lightweight forum, but I wondered if any of you started out with a lower weight or BMI.  If so, which procedure did you go with. I want the sleeve but afraid that it would not cure my A1-C problem. I have B/P issues and acid reflux at times too.  My surgeon feels that RNY is the better choice for me. I trust what he says, but has anyone else been through this scenario?  Thanks~ 

Racewalker48
on 5/17/15 6:43 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I started with a BMI of 36 and had RNY gastric bypass.  I had hypertension and GERD, both of which have resolved since surgery.  I didn't have diabetes, but I have seen several on this forum who have seen their diabetes go into remission with either the sleeve or gastric bypass.  Keep in mind that WLS doesn't cure diabetes, rather it has the potential to put it into remission, sometimes to the point where one doesn't need medication to control blood glucose.  

VSG_VET
on 5/22/15 9:20 am

Hope this is helpful. It helped me a lot.                                                                          

the band has higher long-term complication rate and LOWER success rate...not the best choice.....I feel the sleeve is the better choice for most people... the bypass has it's own "issues" here is one study at Lenox Hill Hospital and a Doc's opinion on the bypass......pay attention to his conclusion. .................

New Data on Weight Gain Following Bariatric Surgery 

Gastric bypass surgery has long been considered the gold standard for weight loss. However, recent studies have revealed that this particular operation can lead to potential weight gain years later. Lenox Hill Hospital’s Chief of Bariatric Surgery, Mitchell Roslin, MD, was the principal investigator of the Restore Trial – a national ten center study investigating whether an endoscopic suturing procedure to reduce the size of the opening between the gastric pouch of the bypass and the intestine could be used to control weight gain in patients following gastric bypass surgery. The concept for the trial originated when Dr. Roslin noticed a pattern of weight gain with a significant number of his patients, years following gastric bypass surgery. While many patients could still eat less than before the surgery and become full faster, they would rapidly become hungry and feel light headed, especially after consuming simple carbohydrates, which stimulate insulin production.

The results of the Restore Trial, which were published in January 2011, did not confirm the original hypothesis – there was no statistical advantage for those treated with suturing. However, they revealed something even more important. The data gathered during the trial and the subsequent glucose tolerance testing verified that patients who underwent gastric bypass surgery and regained weight were highly likely to have reactive hypoglycemia, a condition in which blood glucose drops below the normal level, one to two hours after ingesting a meal high in carbs. Dr. Roslin and his colleagues theorized that the rapid rise in blood sugar – followed by a swift exaggerated plunge – was caused by the absence of the pyloric valve, a heavy ring of muscle that regulates the rate at which food is released from the stomach into the small intestine. The removal of the pyloric valve during gastric bypass surgery causes changes in glucose regulation that lead to inter-meal hunger, impulse-snacking, and consequent weight regain. 

Dr. Roslin and his team decided to investigate whether two other bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve – sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch – would lead to better glucose regulation, thus suppressing weight regain. The preliminary data of this current study shows that all three operations initially reduce fasting insulin and glucose. However, when sugar and simple carbs are consumed, gastric bypass patients have a 20-fold increase in insulin production at six months, compared to a 4-fold increase in patients who have undergone either a sleeve gastrectomy or a duodenal switch procedure. The dramatic rise in insulin in gastric bypass patients causes a rapid drop in glucose, promoting hunger and leading to increased food consumption.

“Based on these results, I believe that bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve lead to better physiologic glucose regulation and ultimately more successful long-term maintenance of weight-loss,” said Dr. Roslin

got-2-b-me
on 6/22/15 3:18 pm

Hello,

I'm going to have the sleeve done. I am 230lbs at 5ft 9in in height. Have you decided on which surgery you are going to do?

SassySharon
on 6/2/15 7:26 am - Orlando, FL
I was a lightweight, 240, I had Lap and, a year later after realizing that I could eat everything but meat, I didn't do the 30 chews, as instructed, that following year I had RNY, I've been maintaining between 152 my lowest, to 160, my goal is 140 still.
SassySharon
on 6/2/15 7:27 am - Orlando, FL
I was a lightweight, 240, I had Lap and, a year later after realizing that I could eat everything but meat, I didn't do the 30 chews, as instructed, that following year I had RNY, I've been maintaining between 152 my lowest, to 160, my goal is 140 still.
ebonymc
on 6/28/15 9:14 am

Thanks everyone, I'm now leaning more towards the sleeve.  I'm so confused b/c of my build and even more importantly, my comorbidities. I've been trying on my own for the past few months w/o success. A1C is still high and I feel that my primary care Dr. is getting tired of repeating the same old thing. "LOSE WEIGHT, JOIN WEIGH****CHERS". I'm sort of tired of hearing it too, but I will go ahead and contact my weight loss surgeon's office and start the ball rolling again. Thanks

Lovely_Z
on 7/9/15 2:12 am

Hey there lovely I am a lightweight also and suffer from acid reflux (GERD); I was originally yearning for the sleeve but for this reason I was strongly advised AGAINST this procedure because it removes the ability for the acid to raise through the esophagus. Check out this link (sorry about the name but this site is the easiest understand) 

http://www.healthdummy.org/383/things-gastric-sleeve-acid-reflux-relation.html

My RNY is scheduled for next Tuesday so I will keep you posted. Hope this helps bye bye for now. 

blackal8787
on 6/18/21 11:21 am

I started as a lighweight as well and started with sleeve

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 197 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1142 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2042 views