New to all this!!!!

Nina O.
on 1/12/05 7:36 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hi everyone...I am anticipating on having the gastric bypass surgery within the next couple of months (I hope). I am going to a seminar in a couple weeks where I will meet the surgeon, the nurses and other people who have had the surgery. Anyway...my point is that I know pretty much nothing about the surgery or what to expect can someone share some info w/ me? I am afraid after reading all these regrets that people had. Thanks.... Nina
SHANNON B.
on 1/13/05 6:18 am - BATESVILLE, AR
Anyone can have complications due to this type of surgery. I recommend you research everything...both Pros & Cons & the best qualified surgeons. A LIFETIME of Aftercare is very important. Make sure your Dr. or surgeon agrees. Some people never have complications; others have a lifetime of them. This surgery is "THE LAST RESORT" to live a longer, healthier, hopefully pain free lifestyle. Some people feel it's their only option; some even take this type of surgery Lightly. This is a Life Altering Surgery; it will change your life in one way or another. Is this surgery worth the risk of a lifetime of complications or death? Only you can answer that question. There are alot of qualified surgeons & Dr.'s out there. Make sure ALL your questions are answered to your satisfaction. This is YOUR life, don't settle for an "alright" Dr. If you aren't willing to follow all instructions for a lifetime, maybe you should think twice about any WLS surgery. I hope this has helped you. I am 8 weeks post op. I had a magnificent surgeon, who will also provide all after care management. Best Wishes For You Shannon
Nina O.
on 1/13/05 6:49 am - Milwaukee, WI
Thank you so much for your input. I am definetly looking to make some serious life changes in my health,diet and exercise. I just don't have the willpower to do it on my own. A few questions.... How did your surgery go? How long were you in the hospital? How soon could you resume to normal activity? Do you have any children? How much have you lost so far? I actually have about a million questions but I don't want to bombard you! I am going on the 31st to my first REAL consultation so I am super anxious to ask questions!!! Thanks so much! Nina
SHANNON B.
on 1/13/05 11:47 pm - BATESVILLE, AR
Nina, I had open rny on Nov. 15, 2004. Went in for surgery on Monday and was released on Thursday. The only complication I had was the nurses giving me 2 anti nausea medicines (Reglen & Anzemet). The reglen was wonderful I guess cause I never got sick. I had a commn side affect reaction to the Anzemet (severe dizziness causing severe dry heaving, which hurt like H3LL!) I had a Morophine pump for pain, but did not use it. I had a trapeeze bar that I used to get in & out of bed, & I used it to move in bed to get comfy. When coughing for respitory therapy in the hospital it was somewhat painful. I also had to walk while in hospital. Once I was home, the only problems I had & still having is sneezing. I have chronic allergies, so I sneeze it seems a billion times a day. All the pressure from sneezing (which I tried very hard not to) pulled the internal incision wounds, causing alot of pain (felt like my guts were going to explode out of incisons) when doing anything & even sitting still.So, my exercising has been slow. I am now able to take allergy meds (Claritin D 24 hour) and the pain has very much subsided, (with-in 2 days of no sneezing) but I still don't lift, drag, carry or reach over my head or exercise hard. I am trying to give myself more time to heal. My next Dr. Appt. is my 4 mos. follow-up in March I have one son, 4 years old. He understands mommy's "owie" & helps alot around the house & doesn't complain much when I can't pick him up or hold him. I can hold him if I am sitting down. The night before surgery I weighed 318...now...8 weeks later I weigh 265.5. Everyone heals differently some quicker & some slower. My Gall Bladder was also removed at the time of surgery. I had a "drain tube" in for 4 weeks, so that really limited my exercise. I do try to walk at leat 1 mile/day. I have a list of questions I asked my surgeon, if you like I can send them to you via email. My personal email is: [email protected] if you would like to email me there. Warmest Wishes On Your Journey Shannon
sicilianchic
on 1/13/05 4:07 pm - buffalo, NY
hey nina, well i spent alot of time on here!!!! and maybe ask your dr.'s office if they are aware of any support groups in your area. there are a few where i live plus a local yahoo group. just keep looking!!! julie k surgery january 31st 2005!!!
Jammie F.
on 1/14/05 1:20 am - Harrisonville, MO
I had the surgery four years ago. I had a great surgeon but have had complications ever since. I throw up almost every day. My liver functions have been abnormal, sick stomach (just like morning sickness) and other complications. Do I regret it? No, but I can tell you I will not live a long life because of it. THINK HARD ABOUT IT.....try every other alternative!
Nina O.
on 1/14/05 5:13 am - Milwaukee, WI
Thank you everyone for all your input....I have tried what seems like everything to lose weight and this surgery seems like my last resort. I talked to someone last night who said she can no longer eat sugar, drink soda etc....I am like WHAT? And she is two years post-op. She had a lot of negative things to say about it. I am just not sure how MY body will react to the surgery you know? I mean I might have an okay experience compared to someone else.... I am still confused. I have been writing my questions down for the surgeon.
Temekasa
on 1/14/05 10:30 am - Sandusky, OH
Hi nina, Everyone will have a different story about this procedure! I'm currently waiting for approval. (United Health Care). My best friend is 3 years post-op and she can eat whatever she wants. SHE CAN ALSO PUT ON WEIGHT!!! Many people I have discussed WLS with who are ignorant to the process, think it's the easy way out. That's Bull****! I've been there holding my friends hair back while she barfs cause she drank her water too fast. Whatever you deceide just know this, you are in control of your destiny. At the same time, you have to deal with whatever happens whether it's good or bad. Good luck with whatever you deceide!! Just so ya know, United Health Care is one of the most approving insurance companies there is. lol So after your consultation start "jumping thru the hoops". So when you get your approval you will have met your surgeons requirements and there will be no hold ups on getting a surgery date.
SHANNON B.
on 1/14/05 11:17 pm - BATESVILLE, AR
Some WLS patients can eat sugar & drink soda. Some have "dumping syndrome" some don't. Some would rather have "dumping syndrome" then not to eat or drink sugary things. Then the more they "cheat" on their eating habits the worse they become & soon they stretch their new pouch & begin to gain weight back. Then the concept of "My WLS failed". It's only a tool NOT a cure. How you use the tool is up to you. I can't stress enough the importance of a competent surgeon & the aftercare. If you decide to have this surgery & you're blessed not to ever have complications & you follow your Dr.'s guidelines..you will be successful in losing weight & keeping it off. But dieting, exercise & strong discipline can be just as rewarding without having any WLS. WLS is "THE LAST RESORT". So far, I do not regret having this surgery, but I have been blessed, so far I have had no complications. I am sure if I ever do have serious complications, I will regret having had this surgery; and wonder "Maybe, if I had just tried harder to diet & exercise right!" Best of luck Warmest Wishes, Shannon
Nina O.
on 1/15/05 9:55 am - Milwaukee, WI
Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking...it wouldn't hurt to NOT eat sugar you know? I guess basically it comes down to the fact that everyone is different. How much exercise do you do now and what kind of exercise do you do? I have a fitness center at school that is free so I was thinking that would be perfect for my exercise.... Nina
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views