Any Regrets

Henry C.
on 2/3/04 5:20 am - Northern, IL
I see tons of posts saying it is the best thing they ever did and that they would do it again. I would be interested in hearing from people with regrets and maybe who wished they hadn't had wls. I am going for my consult tomorrow.
Zenzi A.
on 2/4/04 2:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
I am also pre op and have never met anyone *****grets their surgery. There is, however, a book called "I Want to Live: Gastric Bypass Reversal" by Dani Hart. She had the surgery and had a series of painful, life threatening complications. She then had her surgery reversed. I still plan to have my surgery, but it's good to understand the complications you may have to live with.
Diane N.
on 2/5/04 4:26 pm - Concord, NC
Hi All, I don't have any regrets so far. I am 52 and breezed through my surgery 01-13-04. So I am post op only 3 weeks and 2 days, but so far so good. No more insulin shots and cut out all but one of my diabetic meds and so far have lost 22 lbs. I have not vomited one time. No nausea. I have had no problems to speak of. I came home from the hospital 2 days post op and have yet to take a pain pill of any kind! Good luck to all. Diane
ceegra
on 2/5/06 6:53 am - lincoln, UK
ty diane, i too am 52 and pre op am also diabetic on insulin, your post gave me hope ty so much love cee
Kristin J.
on 2/7/04 8:23 am - Tuscaloosa, AL
I had my surgery on 8-19-03 and have lost 90lbs. If you had asked me in my first month if I had any regrets I would have said yes, but now I think it is the best thing I have ever done. The 1st month will be the hardest but it is worth it. Good Luck with your surgery.
PHILLIP V.
on 2/7/04 8:52 am - PALMYRA, NY
i agree 2 months out 45 lbs down , yea first month very hard it gets better
Greta N.
on 2/13/04 11:42 pm - LaGrange, ga
Hello Kristin, I read your reply about regretting your surgery in the first month and I totally agree with you. I had my surgery 8-29-03 in Valley Al. by Dr. Fernando Sanchez. I have only lost 71 lbs. and I saw where you had lost 90 already. Please tell me what you are doing that you are loosing that fast. My doctor said that what I had lost was good, but that it could be better. I was on obesityhelp.com trying to find other people that are having the same problem as me. I can eat anything I want and it doesn't bother me. I try to stay away from sugar because that's why I needed surgery. If you don't mind to share with me what you eat in a normal day and how much so I can compare, it would be great. Oh by the way my name is Greta Norton and I live in LaGrange Ga. I will give you my email address so we can talk that way if it's ok. [email protected]. Thank you so much for any info you can give. Greta Norton
kfelker
on 2/10/04 6:47 am - Fairfield, CT
I'm one of the few who had complications. I ended up back in the ER 6 days after my WLS surgery, and had to have a 2nd surgery for a leak. At the time I would not have been handing out recommendations to have surgery -- I was out of work for 2 months instead of 2 weeks, had no energy, the wound became contaminated while I was in the 2nd hospital so I still have an open wound 3 mos. out (but it's almost closed!!). That said, I've been back at work over a month now, my energy is returning slowly but surely, and I've lost 50 lbs. (started at 252). I'm now inclined to say go for it. The struggles were unpleasant, but they don't happen to most.
kellyanne
on 2/10/04 8:13 am - Lumberton, NJ
I wouldn't go so far as to say regrets. But I do have second thoughts. This is despite the fact that I have done very well. I am down over 100lbs since September 2nd. My second thoughts are probably related to a wound problem. My incision is still not completely healed. I have a three times weekly nurse come and clean the wound and I have been back to surgery. It has been really annoying and time consuming. I think its the permanence of the whole thing, it is the rapid lifestyle change and it is the continued food obession I am still left with. My mind has not kept up with my body. I am still wishing I had the ability to eat my way to comfort. However dysfunctional this it, the fact is it was a way of life. I am working on these changes but they are hard. So I guess what I am saying, if you want an instant relief from food and body image issues, there is none. Not even this drastic surgery does it for you. The bottom line: Do I regret this ? Not really. Do I wish i had the insight I have now. Absolutley. Kelly
on 3/5/04 9:38 pm - Brooksville, KY
Hello Kelly, I can relate to your wound issues. This is the second surgery that I have had issues with the healing process. I was in need of a hysterectomy in 2002. It has taken 18 months for that wound to heal yes that's right 18 months. I had to have the dying tissue cut away in the doctors office 3 times a week and then finally a second surgery. The area is awful. I have thankfully been more successful with my WLS wound it has opened in a few spots but the difference is that these are little holes. They drain all of the time this is very incontinent but it's much better than a gaping hole in my belly. Unfortunately these wound issues are common because of the pressure from the abdominal weight and in some cases diabetes prevent quick healing. Lyda Oaks Open RNY 12/10/03 -63#s May I also add that in the beginning I would have said hell yes I regret this. I had complications on the operating table. I had a sever reaction to the anesthetic. My heart stopped and lungs filled with fluid. I woke up 2 days later in ICU on a vent. Spent a week in the hospital and then when I came home and was finally cleared to begin eating I vomited allot. I had to relearn how to eat my food CHEW CHEW CHEW. I/We have to relearn what we can tolerate and what your pouch can't. This process is truly a life-changing event. It is not a quick fix. It is not the easy way out. I'm almost 3 months postop and NOW I do not regret having the surgery. The hardest part is the recovery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8485 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11026 views