coping skills

jessicalovegold
on 3/12/12 11:15 am
I didn't realize how few coping skills I had outside of pigging out on food.  Handling my emotions has been really hard.  I don't regret the surgery, I just didn't realize how difficult the emotional stuff would be.  I read all the books and did therapy pre-op, but you don't really know how it feels until you are experiencing it.
merrymorris
on 5/15/12 9:55 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I am totally with you. I did all the research and tried to prepare myself...even went back to my therapist. I didn't really know how I use food for EVERYTHING. Especially when I need comfort. It is sad to realize that food has been one of my closest friends.
chatterpam
on 6/5/12 4:47 am - PA
I have always been a food addict, but it never became so apparent as it has since the surgery. I am learning how to use other things to help me cope. I have learned that a bubble bath can be as relaxing as reaching for a snickers... that giving myself a pedicure can be just what I need to take care of myself... getting my car washed after a long day can make me feel like I am going to be ok.

It is a HUGE battle. Now that I am a year out and can eat so much more of the "bad" foods it becomes about my choices. And, I haven't done so well with that in the past.

When I feel like hitting Krispy Kreme I ask myself... what else can I do to treat myself... what else can I do to get through the obsession...

Then I follow the 15 minute rule. I must wait 15 minutes before I act. Nine times out of 10 I make the better choice.

Hang in there. I know what you're going through.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 883 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8481 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9043 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11019 views