Daschund Problems

jhayes
on 1/11/05 10:16 pm - Lake View, SC
I have a miniature daschund and a miniature poodle. My poodle is 12 years old and my daschund in 3 years old. They are both in the house. My poodle is house broken and will go outside to use the bathroom and when she goes outside she stays in our yard and doe her"business" then she comes back inside. My daschund on the other hand, will pee all over the ktichen floor, **** up his leg in the laundry room and when I get ready to take him outside, he runs away. Then I spend the next three hours trying to find him. I even got a cage to put outside to put him in so he won't run away, but I want him to be able to run around like our poodle and not run away. (Oh, BTW, I am from a small town and have I have a huge yard and have neighbors) PLEASE HELP!!!! I am soo tired of getting up every morning and getting a mop out to clean up pee and poop. Any suggestions????
Randi D.
on 3/22/05 3:40 am - Peoria, AZ
The only thing I can think of is that you will probably need to crate train him. I used to keep my toy poodle in a small carrier on my bed at night, and then take him out first thing in the morning. It seems that your dog hasn't made the connection that outside is for doing his "business" and inside is for play and eating. Good luck! Randi
msdeeza
on 3/29/05 10:34 am - Ft Worth, TX
I suppose htis is a little late but the crate training is really a good idea. I am a vet tech and also trained dogs to put myself through college years ago. You didn't mention if your dachsy is fixed or not....If he is not fixed and you do not plan to breed him, get him fixed ASAP. It will help his leg lifting and it can be a major factor in his roaming desire. Crate training - You will have to leave him in the crate overnight adn whenever you are not in direct visual contact with him. Do not let him out to play until he has been taken outside to potty. Carry him from the crate if you have to so he wont have an accident on the way. A key to crate training is that when you do take your little guy outside, use a key word like "hurry hurry" while he is urinating. It will begin to take an effect similar to running water when we have to go to the bathroom. As far as him running away, I'm not sure that is something that I have been able to break anyone of. Leash leash leash. OR one of those underground fences would be good. I have seen so many animals that have been injured by cars that I am a big proponenet of not letting them loose. EVEN in a small town. My parents let their dogs out without leashes but I guess my big turning point was when my own dog ran down to see me at my car - fresh SD snow on the ground - and he wa**** RIGHT in front of me by a speeding truck. ANyway that wasn't really related to yours was it?? You might try lots of positive reinforcement with the running issue. Let him go for aminute but make sure he knows you have a little treat for him. WHen he comes to you, PRAISE him hugely and give him the treat. Do this over and over and over. Gradually you can give him a little more space. I know it's hard not to scold them when they take off but scolding him only makes things worse. He then knows that when he comes back, he gets in trouble rather than it being a happy time. You might try this in a fenced area where you can experiment without fear of a 3 hour hunting trip. Good luck! PS... we had dachsies when I was a kid and they were all runners too! All 3 of them!
susan in sugar land
on 7/15/05 1:52 am - SUGAR LAND, TX
I have a Sharpey/Retrierver mix, 5 1/2 mos. old and 45+lbs. The way that I house broke her is that I would bring her out alot, and I do mean alot, and when she peed/pooped, I would say "hurry up" and then give her a liver treat when she did. She still has an occasional accident when I'm not home because the kids don't take her out often enough. She is crated at night and when we are all gone from the house. If we leave her in the yard, she digs trying to get to China. Feel better when you think about the size of Marley's puddles vs. a daschund! Good luck to you. There is an EXCELLENT show on National Geographic call the Dog Whisperer and he really helps you learn how to correct dog behavior. Try to watch it if you have cable or satellite. Susan
darrellfrazier
on 1/22/06 2:43 pm - Olympia, WA
I also have a miniature daschound but she is a female. I have a male Tibetan Spaniel about 5 years old. We had that problem with him. I invested in a small pet door and radio fence. The fence covers about 5 acres. I had to get another collar for the daschound. It works wonderfully. The dogs come and go as they please and no messes anymore in the house. Before he was marking his area everywhere.
dmccl
on 1/23/06 1:04 am - CANTON, MS
I have a male long haired mini dachshund (fixed). He is a year and a half and was crate trained and doing well. He has now decided to forget his training and go whereever he wants. I know they are a very intelligent and stubborn breed, so I'm going to try the crate training again. As to the running, they will escape at every opportunity. Mine has gone under fences, by lifting them with his nose, and under wire fences by bending them til he could get through. We have a 6 feet tall wooden fence now, but I think if he was determined to get out he would find a way. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Looking for a home...
SapphireStar · 0 replies · 613 views
test thread
nikonshooter · 0 replies · 485 views
Horse people
Meginsf · 10 replies · 803 views
Ferrets!
shiftling · 1 replies · 446 views