Wanted - new dog! Question??

Tanya B.
on 12/26/04 4:53 am - Mentor, OH
Hello All - I have a 4 year old Rott/Lab mix (male) and my husband and I were thinking about getting him a playmate. At the moment we are watching my sisters puppy (male Lab) and Bear (our dog) wants to play but is hesitant. Could this be because they are both male? What if we were to get a female? Any help would be greatly apprecited!!! Oh we also have 1 cat! Happy New Year to all!!
kathline W.
on 1/7/05 2:48 pm - San Marcos, TX
Hello Tanya, I have 4 dogs, a male pomeranian, a male pug, and 2 female ****ers, in pack behavior their is always a leader. My youngest female ****er is the pack leader, because she outweighs everyone else by 5 lbs. For a very long time while she was growing the male pom was the Alpha male, however as her weight overcame him and all of the others they became subserviant to her. I would suggest getting a dog as close to the size and weight of the other one as possible. I really don't think sex matters, my 2 males play together and so do my 2 females. What makes a good dog is its personality. If you decided to get a puppy play with the entire litter. Check for behavior problems like chewing aggressively, and b arking, these are negitive behaviors that can be broken, however just like children dogs have temperments. A sleepy, happy, quiet puppy I have found to be a better choice in the long run. It won't stay sleepy and quiet for long however you chances of the agressive behavior might be a little better . I wouldn't worry about the Cat, they tend to take care of themself. I have 2 and both are declawed. -- Good luck - Kat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Looking for a home...
SapphireStar · 0 replies · 613 views
test thread
nikonshooter · 0 replies · 483 views
Horse people
Meginsf · 10 replies · 803 views
Ferrets!
shiftling · 1 replies · 445 views