Diet 1 week post op

freebeans
on 4/5/17 5:52 am
VSG on 03/23/17

what is everyone having? I am sick of protein shakes, clear liquids, and ice pops! I have to say I am hungry! I have 10 days before I see the surgeon. Had anyone's else's doctor let them have yogurt or something mushed up prior to 2 weeks after surgery?

ladygodiva1228
on 4/5/17 5:58 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

What does your surgeon's plan say? Are you drinking plenty of water? Are you taking a PPI? Acid can mimic hunger.

You can always call your doctors office and ask them if you can advance, but remember you had a lot of nerves cut so if you advance to quickly you could do damage.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

freebeans
on 4/5/17 6:17 am
VSG on 03/23/17

I was never a big drinker but I am drinking the required fluid. Taking the PPI. I certainly don't want to do any damage, I think I just miss solid food to chew. 2 weeks before surgery fluids and only small amount of food(very small). I could call to ask if I can advance- but being I am only 8 days out from surgery I am assuming answer is no. Thank you for replying?

Cathy H.
on 4/5/17 8:51 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

It might not be no, every plan is different. Mine was liquids for first week, then soft/mushy foods weeks 2, 3 and 4. Do you have a written plan from your program? I'm assuming it says you don't start soft foods until after week 2? Anyway, it can't hurt to call and ask, all they can do is say no...but if you don't call, they might have said yes, and you'll never know.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

White Dove
on 4/5/17 6:58 am - Warren, OH

A lady I know was just a short time out from surgery when the school where she was a principal had their annual Christmas party.

Everyone was eating and she decided it would not hurt for her to enjoy some of the food at the party.

She needed to use the restroom and went upstairs to her office to use her private bathroom.

Went she started to use the restroom she was bleeding from her rectum. When she did not return to the party, someone went to check on her. She was passed out on the bathroom floor in a pool of blood.

She was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Emergency surgery was preformed to close a leak. Her family was called to her bedside to say their final good-byes.

She pulled through and is fine now, but it was a frightening experience. The doctors are not telling you to limit your eating just to be mean. They know what can happen and want to keep you safe.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

freebeans
on 4/5/17 7:18 am
VSG on 03/23/17

Wow! Glad she pulled thru! That I would never do nor do I think the doctor is mean. Having said that I guess I should give a little background of myself. These things I post are not b/c I am looking to cheat, or don't know better. it's b/c as you know this is hard! And you know what you have to do yet your head has thoughts of eating etc. I am a critical care RN, so I do have background and have seen the good,bad and ugly! But when "you" are the patient it's a different story! Thanks for your post.

bruindiva92
on 4/5/17 7:53 am
Revision on 03/29/17

You know the answer is NO!

YES, this is hard, incredibly difficult but this is what you signed up for. As a member once stated, make this your new full time job because you life depends upon it! And yes, it will get even more difficult so get ready.

With that being said, I am 7 days out from VSG to RNY surgery and I wouldn't dare deviate from plan or contact my surgeon to advance .

This is a great time to get your head in the game because you will encounter more bumps and obstacles along your journey.

Good Luck.

califsleevin
on 4/5/17 8:20 am - CA

It doesn't hurt to ask your surgeon's team - active word there is ask. Some programs progress faster than others (at a month out some will still be on liquids while others will be having steak - big variations there,) and the doctors have their reasons. There are some things that one can do to introduce a bit of crunch or chew that are effectively liquid by the time they hit the stomach. Ask your docs what they suggest - you hired them for their expertise, not OH. Should you run into problems down the road and they find that you weren't following their instructions, you get the blame - whether or not what you did had anything at all to do with the problem.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

LynnAlex
on 4/5/17 10:19 am
RNY on 08/04/15

First of all, I think you should follow your program. It is important to follow rules even if you don't agree. You will be building the "head strength" and discipline needed later in the program when you are allowed to eat anything. It is really difficult to limit food choices when there is not a medical reason for obstaining (except weight gain and poor habits). You must deal with the "head issues" your whole life. Right after surgery is the best time to develop new and wonderful ways to deal with your desire to eat unhealthy items. You will have a honeymoon period where you may lose the desire for food, but you may not lose the desire for food. It is imperative that you learn to eat to live and not live to eat.

That being said, there are a couple of options.

1. Freeze a protein shake (best option)
  2. Take a bite of steak or some tough meat and chew your brains out, but don't swallow. I would ask the doctor about this option, as the enzymes from the meat may be a problem on the new incisions. (This may be more temptation, I would not go this route.)

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

LissaK
on 4/5/17 10:36 am
RNY on 12/21/16

I also wonder if you are taking a PPI as previous poster asked. I thought I was hungry and nauseated the first week, but when I started the prilosec, those symptoms went away. I no longer had the gnawing hungry/upset stomach feeling. Does your plan recommend a PPI?

Most Active