Serendipidous NSV

handtlkr
on 3/19/16 9:53 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

Losing weight, significantly, is exciting.  Buying new clothes in the smaller sizes is surreal.  However, my son-in-law presented me with an invitation to a ship commissioning (one on which he helped to build) which will be held on my birthday in a couple of weeks.  To be invited and attend is such an auspicious honor. To attend, is mandatory to be dressed to the nines.  However, I haven't wanted to be buying clothes, significantly expensive clothes, until I am at my goal weight.  Trying to alter my clothes is not possible because getting the neckline right just isn't possible on really fine clothes. It's easy enough to take in the sides, or stitch up a hem, but the neckline just doesn't ever get right because of the way they are cut.  I found a beautiful dress, just right for the occasion, and I can even wear it a few weeks later for my daughter's graduation from college and her pinning ceremony right before the college graduation, as she officially becomes a registered nurse.  I have NEVER been the type of female to buy a dress for astronomical amounts to only use one time.  So, my conundrum is to purchase this dress for $200, but then I'll have to buy shoes (that I can wear walking across the parking lot (over a mile long) and past the shipyard, where several gigantic ships are still in different phases of being built. Having bought the shoes, well, now I'll need a purse to match and some accenting jewelry.  I just don't have that kind of money, so, I guess I'll have to figure a way to alter my existing dress and buy some shoes to fit the occassion. 

It's wonderful to be losing the weight and to be doing so at an average of 1/2 pound a day.  Having NSV's are a great feeling as well.  Spending massive money for one outfit for one person, rather unthinkable to me, because I'll also have to buy my three granddaughters and my daughters (who have graduated college, but are not yet working), the outfits for this occasion. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

stealthkitty
on 3/20/16 1:50 am
VSG on 12/04/15

Congratulations on being invited and your weight loss! I wonder if you would be interested in renting a dress? One of my friends rented a $500 designer dress for $40 from Rent the Runway. There are other rental sites but that's the only one I know that has a personal recommendation :) Have a wonderful time!

Katie
VSG 12/4/15

NYMom222
on 3/20/16 6:56 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Congratulations on your victory. I understand not wanting to spend lots of money. I ordered a dress directly from China when I was SMO because the bridal shops woyld have charfed so much. One of the perks of getting thinner is more chouces of stores and clearance racks. Suggestions: Nordstrom Rack, Macys, Burlington Coat Factory (I was surprised once going in there how many dressy dresses they had for prom/wedding season. Even Amazon has a lot of dresses.

Also ask around someone you know or at support group might have something you  can borrow.

Good luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/20/16 7:02 am

I never had problem finding decent outfit in thrift stores, or  consignments stores. Ross , TJ max is another option.  Shoes - that was a different story.  Purses don't change as we chsnge. 

When considering new dress or outfit - I would make sure I no have shoes and purse and other advisories to match.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

shirleym
on 3/20/16 3:10 pm - Springfield, OR

Check out local thrift shops.  On my journey from an all time high at size wearing pants in size 36 to my current size 16, thrift shopping has been a saving grace.  

All time high weight - 366 lbs; initial loss 180 lbs

regained to 318 lbs; got back on track middle of Jan. 2015

current weight 172.4

supershopper
on 3/20/16 4:58 pm, edited 3/20/16 9:55 am

i agree on thrifting! Local consignment is great. Also- swap.com is an awesome site. If it doesn't fit, you print off a label and send it right back for a refund. It is quite good. Ross generally has some decent dresses.

Not sure of your size but also gwinnie bee has a site you can get the first month free- you could time it and pickout several dresses for them to send to you, and one should fit. They seemed to have a good selection.

please let me know which dress you decide on, I may have a necklace I can send you :)

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

pammieanne
on 3/21/16 8:48 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I've heard nothing but great things about rentherunway.com. and if I'm not mistaken, they can also send two different sizes in the same dress so you're covered if you lose a few more pounds!

We also have consignment stores here in OKC that sell a little higher quality than your typical thrift store (Goodwill). See if you have them as well. You CAN do this on the 'cheap' and still look fantastic! 

And don't forget to post a picture of your gorgeous new outfit!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Neesie57
on 3/21/16 10:29 am
VSG on 08/04/15

You could also take your dress into a tailor and have it altered.  We have a local place that does a great job, and they don't charge a huge amount of money to do it.

As for shoes, ballet flats are so wonderful to wear.  They don't have a heel, so are easy on the knees and calves, and they wouldn't be hard to walk in for a mile or more.

We went to the commissioning of a ship in San Diego several years ago.  It was a great experience, and will especially so for you, because you actually have a connection to one of the builders.  Congratulations, and have a wonderful time.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active