Worried It Won't Work

handtlkr
on 12/29/15 7:00 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

I know I'm probably the only one who has ever felt this way.  After surgery I could barely get down 1 ounce of fluids at a time and ended up getting dehydrated.  It's much easier getting down more now, and my daughter reminded me that my stomach was probably swollen after surgery is why I couldn't get so much down, but the swelling has gone down now so it's easier to intake more. I'm following all the rules and diet plans as I'm supposed to and have started challenging myself in my walks, to walk "just a little further" each time. I've never been a successful "dieter" and am worried that once I pass the liquid phase of the diet, and get onto solid foods, I'll see the scale creep up again. I'm only 12 days post-op and will be able to start on solid foods in a couple of days.  Others have this concern or am I alone? 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

White Dove
on 12/29/15 7:26 pm - Warren, OH

I think it is a perfectly normal fear.  I did the same things after surgery as before.  Tracked my food, counted calories, exercised and followed a food plan.  The only difference was that after surgery it actually worked for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Heavens2Betsy
on 12/29/15 7:43 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Oh heck!  I'm worried about the same thing and I haven't even had my surgery yet.  So, you can't be alone.    I'm trying to trust in the process and know that as long as I do my part, the surgery will do its part, and when I struggle there are a lot of people here with so much wisdom, honesty, and truth that I'm willing to lean on them all if I have to.  These folks know what they're talking about, so it's just a bit of faith and one foot in front of the other, I guess.

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

MargieDTCSC
on 12/30/15 4:39 am
RNY on 09/21/15

You are definately not alone. i just knew i wasn't going to lose any weight after surgery and this was all for nothing. I'm down 103 lbs. I still have fears about not losing anymore weight. This is where i got before on a diet back in 2008 and didn't lose anymore. i logically know, if i follow the plan, i'll continue to lose, but those darn negative thoughts are so strong.

Just follow your plan and get moving. When i was first out of surgery i walked on my deck...back and forth. i think the birds and squirrels thought i was nuts. I would start with 5 minutes, then 7 minutes...etc. Now i walk every day at work and do water aerobics. Soon i will start with a personal trainer to work on my muscles.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/30/15 9:00 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You're definitely not alone, your fears & doubts are normal & it's something that I think most people on here can identify with. Just know that it does get better. You've got a great tool & it'll keep working for you, its up to you to use it properly. Take baby steps, it's still progress! Good Luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

peachpie
on 12/30/15 9:50 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

But what if it DOES work???

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

MsBatt
on 12/30/15 3:57 pm

I'm pretty sure 99+% of people who've had WLS have felt exactly this way.

Dan1962
on 1/1/16 4:59 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I had no doubt it would work, I just was concerned would I lose everything I wanted to.  I started at 336 and my goal was 190.  I made it down to 186 and now i'm within a pound or two of 190.  The key for me was to accept this a my lifestyle now.  I don't use the work diet as that implies its a temporary thing.  I have given up potatoes, rice, bread....etc.  Went to lunch yesterday and ordered a burger with no bun and submitted the fries for a veggie.  Its just my way of life now and its working great.  Last weekend I waked 4.5 miles one day and 7.75 the next day.  As long as you change your mindset there is no way it can't work.  Good Luck!

mute
on 1/1/16 7:18 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I worried about this same thing until I was about 3 months post surgery.  My weight loss started piling up and making a difference and I realized that it was working. Until then I was sure I was the 1 person it wouldn't work for and I wasted my money, effort, and time. You are definitely not alone. 9 months after surgery I'm 135 pounds down and still losing. It will work for you too if you follow the rules and come here for advice, and listen to the vets who know things!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active