Cannot eat as usual.

LosingSally
on 11/30/15 1:29 am

I am 10 years out with a hybrid surgery, the pouch of RNY, and 200cm  common channel of DS. I have lost weight well, and kept it off, except for a 20 pound regain.

Recently I have found I get full very fast and have lost those 20 plus about 5 more over the last year.

I've had a colonoscopy, endo, CT with and without contrast, and a fluoroscope (sp?). Everything is as expected, no reason for the change in how much I can eat at a meal. My protein is low, probably due to smaller amounts of food I can eat.

Anybody had this experience? Where you can eat less further out, rather than more as we should expect.

Thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/30/15 3:38 am

I still can't eat a lot. And in past few years I had more than enough pouch irritations.. That may caused some scaring making my pouch small or keeping it smalI.

I have restrictions if I eat dense proteins... I typically have that once or 2 x a day. Rest of my meals are much easier to digest slider like meals - nuts, but butter, protein shakes, Etc... 

Maybe you can add protein shake or 2 made with some extra fat and carbs? That may help you raise your proteins levels and stop losing... Adding fruits and avocado to a shake can help with both carbs and calories... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 11/30/15 11:57 am

Hi there!  Another hybrid with the exact same configuration as you, a RNY pouch with a 200 cc from my previous DS.

I have always had a lot of restriction so I can't answer your question.  I am 5 years out from my  revision and I recently lost about 15 lbs but I know it was because I had surgery in June and then I was hospitalized for about a week in Oct. with a bowel obstruction and those things messed me up.

Was there any event preceding your change in eating capacity?  Medication change or even an emotional event?

Also, do you still have a lot of malabsorption of fats?  I have been increasing my fat intake in hopes of getting in more calories but it hasn't really made a difference so far.  I also increased my protein shakes to up to 3 or more a day.  Fortunately my numbers have always been pretty good but I have always aimed for at least 100 grams of protein a day.

All I can suggest is what I have been trying to do.  If I can't eat a lot I try to eat more often and also to drink my calories (protein shakes) as much as I can.  I still avoid sugar and refined carbs and try to stick with things like meat and vegetables, nuts and no processed foods.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/2/15 2:52 pm

So LadyT., could I just think of yours and the OP's surgery as a distal RNY?  This is what I've thought of yours.  Enlighten me.

in your case did they just change your sleeve into a pouch and leave your DS intestines as is?

Hope you are well.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Ladytazz
on 12/2/15 7:39 pm

To tell you the truth I don't think of it as a RNY or DS.  I just call it a hybrid.  Most people who find out I had WLS assume I had a gastric bypass and that is fine as far as I am concerned.  I just tell people I had WLS and leave it at that.  Most people who haven't had WLS or know people who have tend to think they are all the same I guess.

My sleeve was changed into a pouch and my common channel was lengthened from 100cc to 200cc.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/3/15 8:12 am, edited 12/3/15 12:12 am

You are special Lady T.!  There will be some other person on here one day like the O.P. and they will need to be directed to you because we all need to relate and sometimes on a mirroring level.  Like I'd come to you humbled if I had to be rewired a "hybrid" like you.

Interesting on the lengthening of your common channel!  My doc at some point was doing the DS with a standard 200 or 250cc - things change though.  I think Melissa Mermaid - I may be remembering wrong may have a much shorter common channel as she was one of his earlier DSes.

Have a wonderful day 

and thanks for the info.  I try my best and file it and pass it along when the need presents itself.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Ladytazz
on 12/3/15 10:47 pm

Knowing now what I know I would say that I would have probably had a totally different experience with my first surgery had I had a longer common channel and a smaller sleeve instead of the other way around.

My surgeon did not like malabsorption (still doesn't) mainly because of the lack of compliance factor and I think he intentionally made my sleeve very large, not to mention the fact that in 2002 things were a lot different.  I never heard of a bougie at that time.  He just told me he reduced my stomach by 50%, which I think was being generous as I never had restriction.

In fact, in hindsight I may have done well with just a restrictive procedure but in 2002 the only option at that time for restriction was the lap band and even then I knew that wasn't a good idea.

Of course I would have probably done even better had I had better education and follow up.

I have spoken with several people who are hybrids, not in the same way but in the fact that due to things out of their control their surgery was adjusted, or later revised, to fix previously unknown issues.  You just take the hand you were dealt and make the best of it. 

White Dove
on 11/30/15 11:59 am - Warren, OH

I had a few years when I could have eaten like a normal person.  Now I feel sick if I eat a little too much.  It seems like as time goes on that I can eat less every year. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ladytazz
on 11/30/15 12:45 pm

Just curious.  I have the same experience.  Do you think that is a natural function of age or specific to WLS people.  I have heard that most people, WLS or not, eat less as they get older.

White Dove
on 11/30/15 12:56 pm - Warren, OH

I have seen old people survive on a diet of tea and toast. I think like most things that our enjoyment of food becomes less as we age.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active