Losing Weight Years After Surgery

lbmg
on 11/10/15 7:09 am

I am 8 years post op. I had my second pregnancy 2 1/2 years ago. I had some major complications that led to weight gain and I would like to get to my goal weight. Any advice on losing weight years out from surgery?

By: LBMG

Lap RNY: 10/15/2007

SW: 330 lbs.--CW: 206.4 lbs.--GW: 125 lbs.

LOST: 123.6 lbs. --81.4 lbs. to go!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 7:49 am - CA

I am 14 years post op and experienced weight gain in last two years.  I am focused on getting support, meal planning and prepping (which has helped me considerably in sticking to the more healthy options)  I have cut out as many "bad" carbs as possible, such as bread and pasta.  I've used zucchini and spaghetti squash as pasta and when I have not had those available, I have used whole wheat pasta, but rarely.   I use lettuce in place of bread and traded red meat for turkey and use a lot of chicken in my meals.  Basically, for me I have re-dedicated myself to eating more healthier and appropriately.  I'm focusing on proteins and nutrient rich foods for all meals and definitely feel that I am not "grazing" as much as I did before I started this.   

I hope this is helpful!   Feel free to add me to your friends list, so we can keep track on how we are doing as we try to get back on track! 

Nik

lbmg
on 11/10/15 7:59 am

Thanks for the advice, Nik_H.  Could you be more specific when you say prepping?  I haven't been able to find local support and have returned to using OH as my main source for encouragement. I recently started redirecting my eating, as well.  I am down to 900 calories a day but find nights the hardest.  My husband works second shift (2pm-9 or 11pm) so I often end up cooking 2 dinners.  I think this had led to the feeling that I am free to eat at both dinners. I am not really hungry in the mornings--just dying for a cup of coffee.  I am a newly a returning stay-at-home mom from the corporate world (I missed too much of my kids growing up).  Thanks for the invite as a friend. You'll get my request soon. I will take as much help as I can get!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 8:43 am - CA

Meal prepping is preparing your meals in advance and packaging them into containers for portion control.   While I do not prep a whole week in advance as I tend to get tired of the same food over and over.    I will send you a private message with a sample of what my menu looks like daily, so you can see what might work for you.

I think that it is great that you have come back to OH for support, it has always been what has kept me on the right track and I know that this is my go to place when I need support too.   As for your night time situation, I had the same problem at one time.  I feel that it is within our nature to just automatically eat when someone else is.   What you might try doing is focusing on more healthier options when you eat with your husband, instead of eating another dinner again.   Maybe try some hummus and veggies.  The hummus is protein and the veggies will help to satisfy as well. If you aren't a fan of hummus, try any protein options, but keep your portion small.   

I hope this helps you.  I will send you that sample menu in just a few!   

lbmg
on 11/10/15 8:50 am, edited 11/10/15 12:51 am

Having a healthier snack when my husband does is a great idea!  And I do LOVE hummus.  I used to prep more often when I worked but not so much any more. I do freeze leftovers into one cup portions though.  Do you work out/exercise as well? I have been told that post-op it makes little difference on your weight loss.   I also found using smaller plates and bowls that only hold one cup at a time.  I found this has helped me a lot since right after post-op. It forces you to get up if you were going to eat another portion.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 9:01 am - CA

I am not currently exercising, but I know i have to.   Weight loss early post op is just our bodies adjusting to the surgical changes.  This far out, we will have to eat more healthy and exercise.  Even if it is doing small things in increments, it will add up and help.  I am making it a point to use my health tracker to track my progress and also use the goal system here at OH to set goals for myself and ensure I achieve them.   

I definitely agree with the use of small plates and bowls, it is very helpful.  I only use the small salad plates to plate my food and if we have soups or chili I use a coffee mug.   It makes a difference!  

lbmg
on 11/10/15 9:12 am

Exercising hasn't been an issue for me. I exercise at least 20 minutes everyday.  My big issue is feeling like eating is a torture session. It used to be fun (pre-surgery). I would eat what I want, when I wanted.  Granted I wasn't healthy but I was kinda happy?  Now it is limited to calorie and protein intake.  It's a lifelong diet.  Ugh!  And I don't get to eat bread anymore!  Pasta I had no problem letting of but bread was the hard one. I tried to eat just a little every now and then but truthfully I have found once you start, you can't stop.  Now I treat it like it is something I am allergic to.  I've never been that big of a fan of meat but have been forced to.  It seems like I was more than happy to make these changes 8 years ago when I was 125 lbs. heavier but now that I have lost more than half, I seem to be less willing to comply.  It's like I'm a surgery teenager. LOL

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 10:30 am - CA

I avoid bread and use lettuce for sandwiches and burgers, if we have them.  I have also used the Flat Out wraps that are very low in carbs, if you just need to have something that is similar to bread, I suggest those.    They also have pizza crust that is low carb, but we use portobello mushrooms for a form of pizza if we want it.    

I really feel that if you can focus on healthier options and nutrient dense foods to fuel your hunger, you might find it easier to re-adapt and deal with the changes.  

Since I've changed my menu plans, I find that I don't crave things as much as I used to, so I am seeing some positive things coming from my approach.   

sweetpotato1959
on 11/16/15 8:31 pm

lbmg,  please go back and read your post... think.  I don't want an answer,but you need to answer these questions within your self and address them.

I had surgery 20 yrs ago, so I do understand some things. I believe we all go thru stages where life  is easier and/or harder. Maybe easier in some ways and harder in others. This is a normal thing and you really need to stop and re-focus. You have made a choice for surgery and it is a life long dietary change. congratualtions on the 125 lb loss...you are 125 lbs closer to your goal.

?????Do you really think 20 min. daily, burns enough calories, to produce the weight loss you desire?

????  Are you under  a heavy stress load?(stress will prevent weight loss)

???? If you were happy before you had surgery, Why  in this world,would you have had surgery? 

Each of us make choices every day... Now is the time for you to choose what is important to you, and make the choices you need to.  

Ok, now that I have given you that, you might want to try these tips..these are things I use, and they may help you.

Instead of just doing 20 min every day of an exercise, find an activity..that will engage you for longer times at least 2 times a week..ideas?? maybe go to the gym,( and use a different machine ) swim?,work in the garden? just double the time of what you are already doing  maybe ...two days a week, and change it up, so you don't get bored with it.

For the protein..I wasn't a "protein person" either, what helped me the most was using a protein shake for breakfast, very cold..I found that it stops my cravings during the day,Keeps my sugars from dropping..make it different each day, I like a choc one with strawberries.. and I increased my B complex suppliment that I take sublingual...to 2cc/ doubling the dose... this gives much better contol over the carbs. .. it takes about three days to be fully effective.   See if these things help..

sor09
on 11/10/15 10:53 pm

When you think the seasonal foods won't be available; but when they are cook, prep, and freeze so they are ready anytime. Best Bariatric meals are those with protein first and dense veggies. Adding the simple carbs usually and can promotes stalls and regains. Back to basics, use the tool, vitamins, hydration, and exercising will get you where you want to be.

Most Active