What Would You Do?

lbmg
on 11/4/15 10:26 am

I'm sure others have dealt with this temptation, but I would do almost anything for a piece of bread with butter. I know I shouldn't do it and honestly I wouldn't risk the weight gain (I rarely dump on bread so that wouldn't be a punishment).

Just curious: What do you do when you want bread and you know you can't have it?

Thanks for the advice!

By: LBMG

Lap RNY: 10/15/2007

SW: 330 lbs.--CW: 206.4 lbs.--GW: 125 lbs.

LOST: 123.6 lbs. --81.4 lbs. to go!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 10:28 am

I tried to eat a piece of bread it hurt my stomach. I was in pain for a while. So not worth it.

lbmg
on 11/4/15 10:33 am

Pasta does that to me but not bread.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 10:35 am

I do tolerate bread so once in a while I will have a small piece. However, it is VERY noticeable to me that I am hungry again in a very short time, not like when I eat protein. So I really do not eat bread as I don't like that hungry feeling that comes afterwards. It is not a craving for more bread or carbs I just need to eat something but I have already used my calories eating that little piece of bread. Not worth it anymore and I was really a bread/cracker a-holic.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 10:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Having just bread and butter is empty calories. I have bread often, but it's just a meat delivery vehicle -- something to keep my fingers from getting greasy. It doesn't make me crave more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 11:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I will typically have a slice of bread or a roll with butter if we go out to dinner. I try to save it for the end of my meal as my "dessert". If I eat it ahead of my protein....well, you know what happens! It swells up and then I can't eat all my protein and veggies :-(

For me, there are no foods I "can't" have. There are foods that aren't a good choice for me and 1 or 2 foods I just can't do because they make my physically ill (pasta being one of them).

If I tell myself I can "never" have a certain food again it's just going to set me up to get resentful and my inner 2-year old will throw a tantrum and go on a food bender.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lbmg
on 11/4/15 2:54 pm

I love your idea of not having "no" foods. I think I will start taking on this perspective. Thanks.

NHPOD9
on 11/14/15 4:43 am

I would highly caution you against this approach. While there are some very successful vets that can manage moderation, they are also the vets that have remained vigilant about what they are consuming.

For most of us, moderation means we can again eat the foods that led to our obesity to begin with. Those that experience regain are also the ones that lament they wished they would never have reintroduced "____". Once you start down the simple carb path, it is hard to break it again. Depending solely on your tool    for weight maintenance, and not being mindful of food choices, is almost a guarantee for regain.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

alieskia
on 11/6/15 6:30 pm

How far post op were you when you tried bread? Im 7 weeks out. I want to try pasta  but I'm afraid to. I too dont want to feel like there are foods I can NEVER eat again. That saddens and scares me.

Tracy D.
on 11/7/15 4:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It was months before I tried bread - wait for maintenance. And I would seriously warn you off of pasta - bad news! There's no protein in it and it will swell in your stomach and make you feel like crap. Every time I tried it I've thrown up. That's a real fast way to make yourself never want it again. 

For now stop focusing on what you can't eat or shouldn't eat and focus on all the great stuff you can eat - because there's plenty of it.  And focus on all the exciting stuff you're going to be able to do once you lose all the excess weight. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active