10 kilos down 5 days post op, My legs hurt!

Gillyc
on 12/22/13 5:39 am
DS on 12/17/13

Yeah.  So I know 22 pounds in a week is a lot of water gone.  My legs *hurt*.  Badly.  Kind of want to cry out when I touch them or get out of bed etc.

I don't know that my edema is caused by lymphedema, I hope to god I don't have lipedema because I have no idea how i'd deal with it mentally (I have been struggling with swelling in my hands/fingers/full legs and feet for years).

My legs are looking great, no swelling (or almost none), I'm getting in 2 liters liquid a day.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

I'm posting in general as well as lymphedema >.

Member Services
on 12/22/13 7:35 am - Irvine, CA

Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Gillyc
on 12/22/13 8:27 am
DS on 12/17/13

I have an appointment in 6 days.  Mostly I get legs pain when I lose some excess water, just not this bad.  All my doctors have shrugged it off as not killing me so no worries but I would like to know if anyone else has thoughts on it/has gone through it.

Sarahlicious
on 12/22/13 9:30 am - Portsmouth, OH

I have both lymphedema and lipedema. There is at least more being studied and treatment options than there were 10 years ago when I was diagnosed.

Being you are so newly post-op and they push so much IV fluid into you it might just be that excess fluid causing pain, but you say they are not swollen now? Is there any redness or warmth? Being newly post-op there is a concern for blood clots too, not to scare you just being realistic with risks. Could be electrolytes off balance...so many things possible since surgery and anesthesia can really "beat up" our bodies...esp losing 22 lbs in a week. 

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Gillyc
on 12/22/13 10:10 am
DS on 12/17/13

They aren't swollen at all (I wore my compression stockings yesterday) but they were hurting the days before as well.  There's no discolouration (other than the scarring from past tissue damage).  The pain is almost everywhere so i'm not so worried about clots (I hope i'm right in that), I've been walking a lot but perhaps not spread out as much as I should (once I came home I can't walk far without being assaulted by toddlers, I should get over myself and just walk back and forth a lot).  

It might might just be the tissue pain from being swollen and having them drain so quickly.  I've read many of your posts but never commented.  I am constantly amazed by your strength and positivity.  Before I looked at wls (I haven't been able to lose weight for years despite the long term correction of my diet and exercise (daily swimming)), I stumbled on a page for lipedema while googleing thigh pain and edema.  I was terrified reading about lipedema because, well, without treatment it looks pretty bad, and it seems very few doctors even consider it.  Even with treatment it looks pretty scary (if you don't mind my saying so).  

I worry a lot about this being a possible issue for me.

Sarahlicious
on 12/22/13 10:36 am - Portsmouth, OH

I have advanced stage lipedema, and thankfully mine doesn't cause me extreme pain, it's actually hard to guage my pain level because I think I've become quite used to the feeling. I have recently found a huge community of other lipedema patients, until this year I only knew of one other person. Yes, doctors need to know more about it, diagnosis it, and more research into the cause and needed treatment. There are doctors in Germany doing special liposuction that doesn't further damage the lymph system, and there are doctors in New York who will be trained in the same liposuction by the German doctors and be able to offer surgery soon...so to me there is a lot  more hope for treatments optioins then there used to be...that was always my fear is as I get older and it progresses...then what? The best would be to catch it in the early stage and maintain...which is with compression...so you're already doing that part....to prevent it from progressing to further stages.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Gillyc
on 12/22/13 10:43 am
DS on 12/17/13

If so, I need to get something for my thighs and hands but every time I've asked for the prescription my doctors have said I don't need them.  I hope they are correct, and that 6 months out I will not swell in these places or will have lost the fat there that I thought was swelling.  If it hasn't then I will demand the prescriptions.

Most Active