How long post-op before you could wear normal clothes again?

Trigna
on 12/2/13 8:49 am
RNY on 11/29/13 with

I'm three days out and even pajama bottoms are irritating. I may need to drag myself to a "mandatory fun" work event at the end of this week. Are normal (somewhat snug) clothes within the realm of possibility at just one week out? 

Member Services
on 12/2/13 11:28 am - Irvine, CA

Give yourself time as you are still swollen and will be in normal clothes soonkiss

danslillady
on 12/3/13 12:50 am

I'm 1 week post op. I've been in pjs all week. 

Clothes are fine it's bras that hurt. 

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

hollykim
on 12/3/13 6:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I went home in the same clothes I arrived in and wore my regular clothes from day one. 

Gl

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/3/13 7:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Could you track down a loose skirt, maybe a broomstick style, and a tunic top? That way you'd have something that's loose over your middle, and you could maybe wear a stretchy cami underneath to help keep things from getting irritated.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

smummy2mo
on 12/3/13 11:34 am
Try leggings w a long sweater or yoga pants. I have a few pair that if I throw boots on you wouldn't know they were yoga pants. It took me about 3 weeks to wear "normal pants". Good luck and don't over do it.
MrsLitch
on 12/3/13 1:47 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

i wore normal for me at the time elastic waisted pants from get go, it was the bra that bothered me. I also wore a binder all the time the first two weeks so that helped me a lot. but just an fyi by the time I was comfortable like pre op in the clothes they were too big! It only took me 2 weeks to drop a size lol. Good luck finding something to wear!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

dragonlove
on 12/4/13 7:55 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I'm at 2 weeks right now.  I'm back at work and wearing jeans and sweaters........ but it required effort.  I have 6 incisions, one right where my bra lies in front, and 5 in various places along my waistline.  This makes it tricky!  I wear a soft pair of jeans or yoga pants, depending on where I'm going.  Decent shoes (but not high - you don't want to flex your tummy when you stumble - that hurts!). I unbuttoned the button on the jeans and wear a sweater that's long enough to cover that area. I have to stand or slightly lean back to keep from cutting into / rubbing the incision areas.  Under the bra I have put some band-aids to add cushion so that my bra won't rub off the steri-strips.

The best thing I can say is that today is less painful and awkward than yesterday which was also better than the day before.  

Oh - also consider - when you get in the car to go somewhere, unzip the jeans completely - it is a relief!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Valerie G.
on 12/6/13 8:55 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Not even close.  It was a couple of weeks (my post op appt actually) before I could wear pants again, and I took them off fairly quickly. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active