The Gastric bypass

startingover22
on 7/22/13 3:36 am

My Doctor and I talked about what surgey to  that would best fit for me a we came up with the Gastric bypass  if any one that has been through or will have any insight  that they are willing to share please feel free to comment . Im new to the website so  i dont really know how this whole thing work.

aliciakes
on 7/22/13 4:02 am - NC
RNY on 06/10/13

I am 6 weeks post op.  I started lurking on this site leading up to my surgery and found lots of awesome information and inspiration.  As I have gone along I started blogging what I have gone through and things I have learned.  I would gladly share or answer anything you may want to know from a newbie perspective.  I have lost 34 so far and feel better every day!

Surgery Date 6/10/2013

My journey - http://adventuresinwls.blogspot.com/

MsBatt
on 7/22/13 4:17 am

With a BMI of 53.7, you  really should consider the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. The DS also preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function---the gastric bypass/RNY does not.

Karen8268
on 7/22/13 8:51 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
On July 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

With a BMI of 53.7, you  really should consider the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. The DS also preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function---the gastric bypass/RNY does not.

I believe she said she and her DOCTOR sat down to discuss her options and together have decided Gastric Bypass would be best for her. MANY of us have BMI over 50 and do great with bypass. I was 53 also and 9 months later am 27
True...... You should research all of your options. But if this is the surgery you and your doctor have chosen then make sure you learn all about it.
Good luck on your journey!

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 7/22/13 9:02 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Yes, her doctor said Gastric Bypass is best for her. But maybe he doesn't even perform the DS surgery. Chances are, he wouldn't recommend a surgery that he doesn't perform.

I would research all the types of surgeries first, and then talk to the different surgeons who perform the surgery you want. Better that way then the other way around. :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

challie
on 7/22/13 5:57 am

I second what Ms Batt said.  I was scheduled for RNY but after looking into the DS I decided that it was a better surgery for me.  You will likely agree.  Take some time to look into it!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/22/13 7:21 am

I had RNY... I "third" (lol)  what Ms Batt said. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/13 8:09 am

I had RNY with a BMI 33-35.  I REALLY support the DS choice for higher BMIs .  Simply... its a stronger tool.  I LOVE my BMI ...but in UR place ..i wouldn't settle for anything less than a DS done by an agreed -upon expert.  (please check out pro boards )

huge hugs

Karen8268
on 7/22/13 9:04 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I am NOT saying don't look into the DS. What I am saying is if the GB is your choice and your doctors recommendation do your research on this surgery and ask all the questions you need of us.
Just making myself clear.

startingover22
on 7/22/13 12:03 pm

Thank you  for your comments   I am going to look into the  DS and see what other options  I have Before the surgery.

Most Active