2 strictures cleared and feeling so much better !!

grisaille
on 5/12/12 5:50 am - NC
Wow - after my second endoscopy Monday I feel so much better.  A second stricture had formed.  So although my surgery was in later February, I am once again progressing to soft foods from liquids.  But I KNOW it will all be worth it when things settle down. 

The NUT and nurse were making me feel like everything was in my head - like I wasn't following the rules although I knew I was.  But now that I know that it was an actual physical problem that hopefully has been cleared (at least for a while). 

And I admit I am getting a little impatient to get to "real" food but I WILL follow the rules AGAIN and get to real food safely - I am determined to do this right.

But am doing a happy dance that the nausea and vomiting are gone for the moment. 

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
nikkobleu
on 5/12/12 9:44 am
VSG on 04/30/12
Hi grisaille
I'm glad you are feeling better. I am newly sleeved april 30th and was curious why the Dr. said you got these strictures?
grisaille
on 5/12/12 10:21 am - NC
From what I understand a certain % of people post-op just develop these narrowings - VSG tend to get them at the base of the stomach at the pyloric valve. The doc did not attribute it anything specific - but if you get one, stuff can't get through so it has to come back up. Mine were fairly moderate - liquids could get through but no food, not even soft food no matter how much I chewwed it.

The fix was pretty easy - just a couple of upper endoscopies where they did balloon dilations - they did not open me up again.
nikkobleu
on 5/12/12 10:32 am
VSG on 04/30/12
Thanks for the feedback. Do the strictures have any thing to do with the size of the bougie they used?
JJ_
on 5/12/12 7:01 pm
Strictures are from your body healing too well.  They happen in RNY too.  There is not a great percentage of people that get them, but it does happen.  It is not because you ate something or not being compliant.  It can take 2 or 3 dilations to entirely resolve the issue.
nikkobleu
on 5/13/12 2:44 am
VSG on 04/30/12
Thanks for the info. I'm newly sleeved and seem to be going thru the emotional rollercoaster right down worrying about everything.
Mom78
on 5/13/12 1:52 pm
VSG on 02/10/12
Nikkobleu - I hope you are doing OK.  I understand what your going through, from day 6 post op until about 4 weeks I was crazy with anxiety and worry.  It will pass, granted, I am still second guessing myself often now.  But the worrying about anything from a leak to a stricture has subsided.

Take care of yourself and make sure your getting enough sleep!!!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Mom78
on 5/12/12 2:50 pm
VSG on 02/10/12
So glad you are ok...  Just a lil longer and your will be enjoying your food and loss!  
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/12 3:50 am - Reeseville, WI

I had a DS so I have a sleeve too.  Had to have two strictures dilated.  My sleeve had actually folded over into a bracket shape for the first one.

Most Active