High PTH level? What exactly does it mean in a WLS patient?

mollypitcher08
on 3/8/12 12:15 am

Hello everyone: I am trying to keep up with my labs and recently just had a pth level done along with a Vit. D. level (in previous labs, my Vit D level has always been low . Dr. prescribed the 50,000 I.U. in gel form and I believe it was D2 not D3.  I was told to take it anyway.  I supplemented with D3 myself.  I am hoping the VIt D will be better this time.  Also take calcium citrate, a multivitamin, Vit B12 sublingual, & biotin.
I have not yet heard results for the PTH this time but was wondering what I should do if it is again high? My doctor is a good guy but not as versed as I'd like with WLS stuff.  Thanks for any replies/or suggestions.  I appreciate the forum and sorry I feel so uninformed about what levels I should be at or not.  I believe at one time VIt A lady contacted me with what levels to be at/labs to ask for but of course, I mis placed it!! Thank you all & have a great day, too.  Mary

MsBatt
on 3/8/12 12:26 am
Your blood calcium levels will remain in the normal range as long as your body can find some place to 'steal' it from---like your bones. This is because calcium is necessary for the conduction of nerve impulses, which the body (rightly) considers more important than strong bones.

A high PTH (parathyroid hormone) level indicates that your body is robbing calcium from your bones, and is sort of a pre-indicator for osteoporosis. Getting your D level up will likely make a big difference, since we need good D levels in order to absorb calcium properly.

If your D was by prescription, it is D2. Get yourself some dry D3 in the 50,000 IU dosage, and keep a close eye on your levels.
mollypitcher08
on 3/8/12 10:32 pm
Thanks so much for your reply and the information.  I will get me some!
martitalinda
on 3/8/12 2:23 am
Careful calcium and vitamin D supplementation and long-term screening are very important to prevent deficiencies and problems resulting from secondary hyperparathyroidism ... The parathyroid hormone will be high as your body takes calcium from your bones to make up for any deficiencies possibly caused by calcium and/or vitamin D malabsorption or inadequate suplementation.

I had labs return with high parathyroid levels twice during 2nd year post op and it was corrected by increasing calcium and vitamin D3 per MDs order... have not had problems since.

Dittoing Ms. Batt...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

mollypitcher08
on 3/8/12 10:36 pm
Thanks Martita-It's amazing that I have over the past almost 4 years since surgery, gotten alot of information on what I should have and so far have been lucky with my labs with the exception of this high PTH level and low VIt D (both super important I know!) I will definitely explain to my md about the VIt D2 gel cap form which for me is almost useless and get  the higher dosage of the Vit D3 as you/Ms. Batt recommend.  Thanks for replying-I so enjoy all of your posts, too!
rbb825
on 3/8/12 3:29 pm - Suffern, NY
first off, get rid of those vitamin D gelcaps - that is part of your problem - you cant absorb them - doctors and surgeons just dont understand.  I have one of the few NUTS that recommended getting the Dry D3 from Biotech on the internet.  that is the only vitamin D we can absorb and you can get it cheaper from vitalady.com - they are 50,000 units just like the gel caps but they are dry D3 - they are capsules called D3-50.

Depending on how low your D is and how high your PTH is, is how many D you need to take.  PTH is parathyroid and it is a sign of vitamin D and calcium absorbtion.  when it is high, it can mean too things - for us, it usually means we need more calcium and D.  For non-post ops, it can mean hypercalcemia and goes with a really high calcium level and can mean a tumor in the parathyroid but that is very rare.  I am sure for you - it is your D and calcium.

You should be taking a minimum of 1500-2000mg of calcium citrate per day in 3-4 dose per day, no more than 650mg per dose, atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2-4 hours of your iron and thyroid medication.

How much B12  and is it sublingual?  You should also be taking 100mg of vitamin B1 daily.

when you get your labs, either post them or PM me with them and I will be glad to go over them with you

mollypitcher08
on 3/8/12 10:40 pm
Thank you so much.  I am slightly embarrassed to think I am somewhat clueless when it comes to just exactly which labs I should be concerned with asking my md to test for.  I do know the vit D and calcium levels are tests to watch as are the PTH and I believe B vitamins.  I am sure there are more but these are what I have learned to ask for.
I so appreciate people taking the time to help others like me learn before we make any huge health mistakes! Hopefully I can nip this one and get these levels back to normal.  Take care.  Mary-p.s. when I get results will pm you and let you know.
rbb825
on 3/9/12 12:01 pm - Suffern, NY
I just reread your post and you mentioned what you are taking but didnt' mention any iron, vitamin C, vitamin B1.

This is what you should be taking:

Multi 2 times per day with no iron - centrum silver chewables is a great choice, if taking something else make sure it has selenium in it. 

Calcium citrate 1500-2000mg per day in 3-4 daily doses no more than 500-650mg per dose atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2-4 hours from your thyroid and iron.

vitamin D - Dry D3 - depends on your vitamin D - 25hydroxy level, but most need a mimimum of 10,000 - 15,000 units daily or 50,000 units 2-3 times per week.  Once you get your levels back, I can make a better judgement

Iron - carbonyl iron with vitamin C - vitalady.com makes great carbonyl iron called tender irons, they have the the vitamin C directly in the capsule and they are 60mg per caspules - depending on your iron and ferritin level, will help determine how many you need.

B12 - sublingual B12 - minimum of 1000mcg daily but most need alot more or monthly injections. Once you get your labs, we can make adjustments.

Vitamin B1 - 100m daily.

mollypitcher08
on 3/12/12 5:49 am
Thanks rbb: I do appreciate everyone taking time to educate even an old timer like myself.  IDo take VIt C but not every day and the sublingual is a b complex not b-12 as I mentioned. I have been taking calcium citrate daily and Vit D3 in chewable form.   The doctor has not yet called me back with results of my testing, so perhaps no news is good news? (Actually I will call tomorrow if I have not heard & request a copy of the tests so I can compare.  Thanks again for all your help.
rbb825
on 3/12/12 12:33 pm - Suffern, NY
Do yourself a favor and switch from the sublingual B complex to a sublingual B12 - a sublingual B complex has too much B6 which you dont need you get in your multi and B6 gets toxic, you dont need any of the other B vitamins since they are in your multi other than B1 or B12.  The B12 won't be enough in a multi - you need atleast 1000mcg daily and most need much more than that - once you get your labs you will be able to judge better and you also need 100mg of vitamin B1 by itself -not all b complexes have B1 and that it he B vitamin that is so important - you need to take 100mg daily.

Please call for your labs and ask for a copy - they many times think things are normal when they really aren't - let me know when you get them and I can go over them with you

Most Active