Dr. Alberto Aceves?

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 5:51 am - AZ
Hello Everyone! I am a newbie to the whole weight loss community. I have been weighing my options between Lap Band vs Sleeve, and am thinking the Sleeve is the better option for me.
I found Dr. Alberto Aceves after some searches and youtube videos. Since I am currently not enrolled in health insurance, this will have to come out of pocket. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on Dr. Aceves. I have gotten a chance to email with Nina in his office and one patient that I found through youtube. So far things are are panning out really well.
I'm not necessarily only looking to uncover all bad reviews on him, and I know that not everyone is going to go through this completely smoothly. I understand nausea and the learning curve of how to eat after such surgery. But, I suppose what I am looking for is someone who had a few issues, not just do to his care, but just some of the things that I can expect after having such surgery.
Also anyone who may have made the trip that can give me tips on what to do..... things that I could take to make the journey go a little more smoothly... things they've learned along the way?

Thanks!!!
kdolphin
on 1/13/12 9:04 am - FL
 HI,

I only have great things to say about Dr Aceves and his entire staff.  They removed my lap-band that I self paid for in Florida in 2007 and did my sleeve revision which of course I also self paid for.  He has done 100's of lap band revisions.

My only advice is to stay as far away as possible from the lapband.  Since I have had BOTH I can tell you they are world's apart.  I no longer puke on deli meat, I can feel full after a small amount of food and it is such a pleasure to no longer need a fill and then an unfill and since you currently don't have medical insurance the band needs a lot of maintenance.  Zero maintenance with the sleeve.

Good Luck to you and really Dr Aceves and Dr Campos who works with him did a great job for me.

Have a nice day......
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 10:03 am - AZ
Thank you for the response! I can't seem to find any bad information on Dr Aceves or his staff.
Funny though, after I had posted this, I called my aunt to get her input on this topic (she had gastric bypass, but wishes she would of done the sleeve instead). She is very into the whole weight loss community and continues to go to weekly meetings - so she knows alot of people. She told me her friend went to Mexico to have the sleeve procedure done and had nothing but great things to say. She wasn't sure of who the doctor was, or where in mexico, but she knew that her friend was a nurse and had switched her speciality to bariatric after having this done. She had went to Mexico to check the place out before even having the surgery, and had done a few years of research on the subject. Come to find out - Dr Aceves was the doctor! My aunt said she likened the hospital to the Mayo hospital here in Scottsdale, Arizona - which is fantastic! Anyhow, tomorrow I get to call and talk to her about this!!!

My couin's wife had the lap band and she had everything go right - only having to unfill once a few months ago, after having had the surgery 3.5 years ago. I know everyone's body is different, not everyone has the same outcome. My mom has found lots of information supporting the lap band over the sleeve - saying that sleeves lose more weight within the first 1-2 years, then actually gain back at 4-5year mark, where ring you lose gradually over the first 4 years or so. I am finding info that supports sleeve over band. She is liking the band, I am liking the sleeve. Have you read anything about anyone having to have a second surgery after having the sleeve done? I haven't read anything like that.

I am so ready to do this :)
MsBatt
on 1/20/12 4:43 am
Yes, some people have had to have a second surgery after the Sleeve. Most of them can now be found on the DS board.

The reason they're revising to the DS is due to insufficient weight loss, or significant regain. The Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS, so adding the 'switch' (intestinal) portion is the logical revision choice.

You really should also research the DS BEFORE you make your final decision. I don't know how much weight you have to lose, or if you have a personal or family history of co-morbidities like diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, high cholesterol, etc, but the Ds has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size. This is especially true for those of us with a BMI geater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing those co-morbs I listed

WLS isn't just about losing weight---it has a tremendous effect on your general health as well. Be certain to choose the procedure that will give YOU the greatest health benefits.

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/12 5:56 am - AZ
Thank you for your reply MsBatt!
I've gone with the VSG, and am scheduled for March 2012! Thank you for your information.... it was a great read and very informative.
My mother does have hypertension, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea - she will be getting the Lap Band in March. Her siblings (2), and mother had hypertension as well. My grandmother died congestive heart failure (in her mid-70s), and my grandfather died of a massive heart attack at 53yo. My father's side is unknown.
I feel as though at my age, and being I currently do not have any health related issues - the VSG is the perfect option for me :) I am so excited!
blessed1234
on 1/13/12 9:56 am
VSG on 05/04/12
You should also check out Dr. Guillermo Alvarez he is top notch as well.
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/12 9:30 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
i was stuck between both doctors and chose aceves because i'd be landing in san diego and i've never been in california (i'm canadian), i've been to texas though, so i already have a pin in my world map.  that's a super lame reason to choose a doctor, BUT both have such great reputations i couldn't find any other way to make the choice! 
Emily F.
on 1/13/12 11:48 pm
 I've only heard wonderful things. You are in good hands. Let me know if you need anything. I went to Ungson in Mexico, you can click on my blog to see how it went in Mexico for more info and my pics.

Good luck!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 1:00 am - AZ
 Thanks, Emily! I read your entire blog and you look wonderful!!!
Emily F.
on 1/14/12 2:17 am
On January 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time, NickaleeDesire wrote:
 Thanks, Emily! I read your entire blog and you look wonderful!!!
You are already beautiful, I can't imagine how amazing you will look post op!!! Good luck!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1470 views