RNY attitude last night!!

anninva
on 10/30/13 4:39 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Hi all!

went to a meetup last night of wls folks in my area.  3 of us.  the other 2 women had RNY -- one 10 years ago, one about 2 years ago.  wow!  best line was from the 10 yr one:  I just don't understand the sleeve!  so, i just went into the 80 percent of the stomach blah blah blah.  She said:  well i know what it IS, but i just don't get it.  i just couldn't help myself.  i was like:  well, it means i  have a functioning stomach and pyloric valve, so, yeah.  irrrrrritating!  and snotty.  she just seemed snotty anyway.  also (sorry Elina and Fris****ind of a hard-ass and not in a good way, about hpervigilance.  at 10 years out i would like to think that you've incorporated the eating patterns into your regular life, know what absolutely not to eat triggery stuff.  maybe i'm crazy.  but i just can't see being that stressed about it well into maintenance.  ideas????  i'm not an 800-90-100 VSG person, but what i've done has worked, i'm down abt 105 lbs depending on the day, and a comfy 12P.  and i'm a curvy 54 y.o. woman.  so, yeah.

i know not all RNYers are like this -- i have a really good friend that i saw last weekend who is not and we had long talks about maintaining, etc.  i was just really shocked by the vitriol.  and BTW, she lost 100 lbs. so.

what do you guys think?  no ann bashing por favor!  xoxoxoxooxooxo

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/13 5:31 am, edited 10/30/13 5:31 am

I think that people who didn't have a choice 10 years ego are a bit jealous of the sleeve.  It is normal and I see it a lot. The RNY used to be the gold standard, now, not so much.  I bet we will feel the same way when some new and better surgery or medicine comes along.  Some people handle jealousy better than others. Clearly, she has issues.  As far as being militant about your eating in maintenance, I hope that I will be just like that at ten years out, and I hope I will still be at goal.  The further out you get, the harder it gets to stay that way.  I do not fault her for her militancy, but you never thought I would, did you Ann?  :)  I have no issues with you doing it your way, we all have to feel comfortable with our path.

anninva
on 10/30/13 5:58 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Elina - love you!!!  Exactly the response and it means a lot that you are so kind about it.  Don't know if it's Episcopalian guilt (if it exists!) but i've got it!  i do know to be careful forever, but to be vigilant not hypervigilant i guess!  ah, maintenance!  xxxx

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views