Did anyone get C-diff after having surgery?

Carlizle09
on 9/22/13 3:36 am - UT
If so what kind of symptoms were you experiencing and for how long?....I ask because I had surgery August 12th. Since then ive had diarrhea, 1 or two normal bowel movements, everything else diarrhea. Its just become more frequent since then and now, since wednesday ive felt awful. Just weak, headache, constant diarrhea, gas, nausea and many attempts at vomiting. Surgeon was gonna test for c diff but go figure the day I had my 1 month post op I was feeling decent. So she said give it another month then go see a gastrointerologist. Dont know what to do because I cant keep putting up with this. Im in nursing school and I missed school wednesday and haven't been able to do any work since that morning.
Chrissy W.
on 9/22/13 3:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Watch for a trend. Do you have diarrhea after drinking a protein shake? After eating a specific food? I was having similar symptoms and it turned out that I became lactose intolerance after surgery. I hope that it's something that simple! Take care!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Imakitekat
on 9/22/13 7:24 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

If I were you I would get tested ASAP c diff is extremely contagious.  Especially if you are in nursing school.  Have no doubt your teacher would understand you not being in class.  My friend had it while he was living with us and we had to use Lysol everywhere and use Clorox antibacterial wipes everytime we went to use the bathroom.  He had to go into the hospital shortly after and when visiting we had to wear gowns masks and hair nets.  I don't think c diff is a wait and see kind of thing, especially if your having diarrhea, that is the most contagious stage.  Not trying to scare you, just let you know to not take lightly.  My friend was hospitalized for something else and then found out about the c diff.......best wishes and hope you feel better soon!

Smiles:).

Lisa

princesswimmer24
on 9/22/13 8:37 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I had my surgery Aug 5th and I have had diarrhea since then. My surgeon tested for everything. C Diff was the last test he did because he said it was really unlikely since I was tested prior to surgery and hadn't had any antibiotics prior to surgery either. I did figure out that I can drink RTD protein shakes, they all give me diarrhea and I have tried all of them lol  Have you tried anything OTC like immodium? If it's really bad call your surgeon and have her put the order in and you can pick up the specimen kits from your lab. In the past month I have had 6 different stool specimen kits done and they all came back normal except the last one which showed an abundance of white blood cells in my intestines. My blood work was normal so no infection. Are you doing well with your fluid intake? Diarrhea takes a lot out of you. At one point I was going 7-8x/day and so I was drinking powerade zero to help give my body a little extra. My surgeon has been seeing me weekly so that he can physically see how my body is handling the diarrhea and to make sure I don't get dehydrated. Good Luck and I hope you feel better! Oddly enough I got a pinched nerve last week and my PC put me on an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer, the next day my diarrhea stopped and haven't had any since then. I see my surgeon again on Tuesday and I am going to ask him about that see if it was just a fluke or if the anti-inflammatory helped the inflammation in my intestines.

cathmac
on 9/22/13 8:52 am
Yes I had it they put me on flagel needed two courses but after I came home out of the hospital environment it was gone in about 4 weeks. You need the mediation for it and it is spread very easy everyone should wear gloves around your bathroom and laundry. Good luck
    Cathy mcquarrie    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 169 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 448 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 469 views