6 Months Out - Now Slow Weight Loss but my fault...

butterfly3851
on 8/25/13 7:13 am - TX

I am thrilled I had my surgery 6 months ago today!  I'm a little past halfway where I want to be - 56 pounds down.  Just wanted to let everybody know who is starting out or looking into the gastric sleeve that you DO have to stick with the program  - the weight does not continue to fall off without you working hard to stay on track.  Even if you aren't eating as many calories as you used too - it's still work - can't halfway do this and expect too lose weight.

I was doing great until I hit a bump in the road with some family problems - we all have them - that's life.  During this time - I was traveling & not totally staying on program and was thrilled with a 13 pound weight loss during a 6 week period of stress.  Now that the problem is resolved and I'm back at home - getting back on track has been hard - also dealing with emotional issues from the family problems.  

Every Monday I would say - this is the day I'm going to get back to recording everything in My Fitness Pal, eat totally on plan, etc.  For a 3 week period I only saw a loss of 1/2 pound a week - I know I was eating too many calories but quit entering into MFP when I knew I wasn't eating right - bad habits coming back.  

I also started working out 3 times a week with a new trainer.  This past week I've FINALLY gotten there - back on track recording my food & have lost 2 pounds this week.  Recording your food makes all the difference in the world.  Went back to some protein shakes for a couple of meals, lots of liquid - no carbs for a few days, and strict on calorie counts.  

I'm totally struggling with emotional eating at night - just because we have this surgery does not mean that the emotional eating issues go away - they must be dwelt with.  I am planning a snack at night to help me.  I find myself wanting the crunch - was loving Blue Diamond Nut Crackers - you can have a bunch for 130 calories but these were not good for me - triggered my carb impulses so no more.  

This isn't easy - going to happy hour with my friends and I'm ordering iced tea and a shrimp ****tail if they order food so I don't eat the pizza & other appetizers they order.  It's not the end of the world that I'm eating a delicious shrimp ****tail but I'd still rather be eating the pizza.  

I still wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world - just wanted to point out that the program works when we follow it - high protein, lots of water, low carb, exercise and recording your food.  Not impossible to do but easy to get off track and slow down the weight loss.  I don't want to be one of those who quits losing weight after 6 months.  I have to deal with my emotional eating issues - UGH!  

Good luck to all of you starting out!

Nancybefree
on 8/25/13 7:41 am
VSG on 11/21/12

{{butterfly}}

Thank you so much for posting this.  It's great that you are finding your strength again and pulling it together, putting those proven successful facets of your program back into play.  That shows real guts.  Posting about it here was a very positive step.  Great job!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

frisco
on 8/25/13 9:30 am

Thanks for keeping it for reals......

Get back on it !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 8/25/13 9:46 pm

I think it is really positive that you have identified the issues versus sticking your head in the sand so to speak.  I know it is so much "easier" to not weigh yourself, not log when you are off plan, etc. but so incredibly counterproductive.  Each day promise yourself that no matter what you eat you will log, and no matter what you think you weigh- you weigh (at whatever schedule works for you).  I am very glad to read that you have taken a few pounds off- your sleeve will totally work if you put yourself and keep yourself on plan!  

Not sure what it is about protein shakes, but I always have better food days when I use them.  Glad to see you are still open to that as well, and LOVE that you are working with a trainer!  I look forward to seeing your continued positive progress!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

butterfly3851
on 8/26/13 12:21 am - TX

Thank you for the encouragement!  I hadn't totally blown things - still haven't eaten my past food triggers - candy, cookies & other sweets but ate more cheese & crackers than I needed. Calories DO count!!  

Just wanted those researching to realize that this is not an easy answer - I feel like I have worked hard for every pound off - especially now!

I'm also doing an online program on emotional eating - Shrink Yourself to help get my eating under control.  

It's Monday again!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views