Revision- doc just said I could start mushies 4 days out

chunkymonkey1991
on 5/6/13 7:03 am
I had my sleeve resleeved after it was shown that my top 3rd stretched. The surgery went really well and I was released Sunday after surgery Friday. I have a drain so I just called to set up the apt to get removed (it will on thurs) but the doc also said I could start eating soft foods. This seems crazy early. Any one else have this happen? I was expecting 2 weeks. I definitely won't stray too far from full liquids just bc I'm nervous, but this shocked me.
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

zra
on 5/6/13 7:24 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

My surgeon's regular procedure is mushies as soon as you come home from the hospital, so in my case, two days out. It varies from surgeon to surgeon.

HW: 363  SW: 340  

chunkymonkey1991
on 5/6/13 7:41 am

That makes me feel better. Thanks!

Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

Donnab62
on 5/6/13 9:10 am
VSG on 04/29/13

I am one week out and my doctor just up graded me to mushies for the next 3 weeks. I am excited after having the pureed for the past week.

Donna

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 9:53 am

It's important, too, to realize that different plans might call purees mushies and some plans might call mushies soft foods. My plan went like this: clear liquids to full liquids to purees to mushies/softs (see same name in my plan) to regular food. My full liquids had NO purees. It had to be able to go through a sieve for me to consume it. It was liquid.

So depending on what your "soft" foods are, it may be a perfectly reasonable thing.

califsleevin
on 5/6/13 10:18 am - CA

Likewise, my program called for mushies/purees/soft proteins from the hospital on out (subject to individual tolerances.). With some twenty years of sleeve experience behind the program, I can't argue too much with their success. It may seem early relative to many of the programs that are based upon bypass protocols, but is fairly consistent with most programs based upon DS (sleeve plus intestinal rerouting) experience.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

LilPMommy
on 5/6/13 11:59 am
I thought the sleeve has only been around for 10 yrs.
MacMadame
on 5/6/13 7:00 pm - Northern, CA

As a standalone procedure but the stomach is the same as DSers get and that procedure has been around a lot longer.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/6/13 7:42 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
My surgeon has been doing sleeves first with the DS and then stand alone since way longer. The DS probably way back into the 90s and the sleeve alone as of 2000. So 13 years. Also partial gastrectomies which is what the sleeve really is - just shaped in a particular way - have been done for what, 80+ years now - on cancer and ulcer patients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Calking
on 5/6/13 3:57 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Ok.  From what I have seen by most posts here this seems to be a bit too early.  I am all for going according to your docs plans.  I am also for going at your own pace.  Just because you are cleared to do so doesn't mean you should.

If I were you I would think about the two paths you could take.

Path 1:  On your surgeon's advice start mushies and it turns out to be too early for you and you suffer from eating too much too fast or you get nauseated and feeling sick.  Then you back off and try again in a week.

Path 2:  Give yourself another week and perhaps ween yourself onto mushies.  In other words just for one time each day in a week you eat something that is muchie and the rest of the day you stay full liquids.  The worse that could happen is that you need more time yet.  The best thing to happen is that you have given your stomach more time to heal and more likely can handle something beyond the liquids.  

Why are you in such a hurry.  Slow down, take your time, give yourself time to heal, and most of all practice some patience.  What do you have to loose by taking things slow?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views