That ONE thing you did / wish you did in the months before surgery.

ITwon
on 3/4/13 4:24 pm - Woonsocket, RI
I'm still 4 months from surgery. Just wondering if there was anything you folks did (or wish you did) 4 or 5 months beforehand to prepare yourselves for post-op success? Start protein earlier? Building more muscle? Any supplements?
71dart
on 3/4/13 7:02 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I'm thankful I began eating like I was in maintenance: protein first, no carbonation, no fast food, lots of water, started my vitamin regimen, etc. I wish I had begun a progression of exercise pre-op. That would have made a difference in immediate recovery from surgery, and I could have started exercise earlier than 4 wks post-op which would have given me more progress thus far.

dunlopfish
on 3/4/13 7:26 pm

I have to agree with the exercise.  I wish I had started fitting it into my schedule before the surgery. I did give up soda so that wasn't a problem after the surgery.  Also  stop eating and drinking at the same time, that has been tough to get used to.

Terry H.
on 3/4/13 7:59 pm

I started eating with surgery in mind and working out as well.  It was important to me to be in the best health possible before surgery.  I lost 51 lbs from June to October.  I stopped drinking coffee (resumed a few months after surgery) and soda - as well as all drinking with meals.  I did have a few food funerals but stayed on track 90% of the time.  I;ve been tracking my food every meal since I started out too.

I wish I had taken better before pics and kept my measurements.  It is important for getting your head around the change and tracking inches lost during stalls to keep your motivation up.

Good luck

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

A. Kondrlik
on 3/4/13 8:23 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I cut out caffeine completely.,  also stopped carbonation  starting 5 months pre op

I lost some weight pre  op but I wish I would have started eating consistently like I was in maintenance.

I should have practiced eating slowly and chewing every bite 30 times, I am still working on that one.

I did start my supplement early partly for the beneficical effect partly to get in a routine

Food funerals are not worth it.

Best of luck in your Journey

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

slatond
on 3/4/13 9:10 pm

I agree w/ others. I started the Atkins diet phase 1 @ 6 wks b4 surgery  ( which was recommended by doctor for 4 wks prior). Also putting the rules in to place... protein first / no drinking while eating / eating slower...etc.

The biggest thing I WISH I had not done is "worry" so much.

Jls8877
on 3/4/13 9:32 pm
I agree with exercise. The surgery has changed my life and my scale victories are amazing but what I'm accomplishing with exercise shocks me. I will be running 4mi today at 6months post op. it will take me 45-50min. It is so shocking that I have the ability and drive to accomplish this. This is by no means fast but I can't believe it's ME who is out there doing it. Set small goals for your self. TRY not to get so wrapped up with the # on the scale. (It drives me crazy) Take pride in your accomplishments!
(deactivated member)
on 3/4/13 10:03 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Yep, add me to the list of those who started to exercise and do an atkins style diet prior to surgery.  My surgeon has a pre-op diet of 30 grams or less of carbs per day and instead of a month before surgery I started it the day after our first meeting.  He also requires exercise so it was easier to start it on my own. Walking was my exercise of choice and its what I did daily until the fall, then I joined a gym and my weight loss has really increased since I did that. Seems like my second 6 months I'm dropping more weight than I did in my first 6 months.

Oh, one other thing I wish I did was save a pair of my largest pants...  I got rid of everything but really wish I had just 1 pair to serve as a reminder of where I was and where I am now.

Christina_G
on 3/4/13 11:12 pm - Raytown, MO
VSG on 02/19/13
My BIGGEST thing has been learning not to drink with meals or directly after!

I wish I would have started practicing that before surgery. So start now if you aren't already. There has been a time or two that I have tried to just sip during a meal or even after just because my mouth was so dry and take my word you don't want to do that and have the pain and nausea that's associated with it. Lesson Learned!!!

Good Luck!

With God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26

Starting Weight: 317.2; Goal Weight: 160; Surgery Date: 2/19/13

slatond
on 3/4/13 11:19 pm

Another thing I thought of.... Document!!! I did not do measurements and pictures. I love seeing others but don't really have a documented change for myself. I did find a b4 pic and during pic to send a friend and I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN away seeing the difference in pictures. These dimensions and pictures can be great motivators when you have a tough day! or hit a stall!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views