Anyone here have Independence Blue Cross??

Lacee C.
on 3/7/12 3:35 am - UT
 Curious as to how the approval process went- time? items they wanted? I have read the policy - kinda worried on one part (just hoping my family doctor took enough notes in my history) any help would be great! 
marybeth weaver
on 3/7/12 3:41 am - shaftsbury, VT
 i have blue cross and i wa totally coverd to my surgeon denied me today

Lacee C.
on 3/7/12 8:16 am - UT
 What were the reasonings they denied you? How long did it take for the denial to come back from them?
cheyrobin
on 3/7/12 6:53 am - Cheyenne, WY
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Wyoming and they denied me today.  They said they needed 5 years of doctor supervisied diet or proof that you are 5 years morbidly obese.  I'm trying to get more records to them do prove I did a medically supervised diet for 1-1/2 years 15 years ago so hopefully that will be all they need. 

It only took 8 days for them to deny me and I've been told the appeal process could take months.

Good luck to you!

Lacee C.
on 3/7/12 8:16 am - UT
 So that is the only reason they denied you? Did you just turn in medical history from your primary or a doctors letter or what did you submit for that? 

I have documentation from a few different weight loss centers and such and then I know for the majority my family doctor notes when I talk to him about my weight so I am hoping he has all of that- Thanks for any info you can give :) 

Also not to be nosey but what is your BMI? Mine is 47 and I can show my weight in the last 5 years as being morbidly obese so thinking to show that also since you mentioned it
cheyrobin
on 3/7/12 11:48 pm - Cheyenne, WY
Yes, that's the reason they denied me (that I couldn't show 5 years of being morbidly obese - even though I have been for 15 years, and that I didn't have 5 years of medically supervised diet programs).  I was on a medically supervised program for about 1-1/2 years 15 years ago but BCBS didn't know it was medically supervised so we are sending a letter I received from the program and hopefully that will change their mind. 

My BMI currently is 41.1 but if they use my BMI from 15 years ago (trying to prove that I've been morbidly obese for 15 years) it would be 39.9 which I've been assured is close enough to 40 to count.  HOpefully it will.

I've never been one to go to doctors and I went to an HMO for 17 years and they no longer have my records (stupid of me not to get my records before I moved away) and I only started going to a doctor here in Cheyenne about 1-1/2 years ago so I don't have many doctor records to prove I've been obese for 5 years.

Lacee C.
on 3/12/12 9:06 pm - UT
 I hope they end up approving yours- I am just waiting to hear back from my doctors office on what info I need to compile- I know I have records showing the morbid obesitiy at the doctors for the last 5 years- I might have to go to a few places that I did diets or special things at and see what I can get with them- I know my family doctor though took good notes about my weight each apt so i am hoping that helps- we spoke allot about my weight and he put me on pills and such so hoping that work - :/ but I am kinda worried since I have not found one successful approval from BC
JessieH
on 3/7/12 1:13 pm
 I am in Ma and have independence blue cross ppo. I am also just starting my journey so I can't tell you about the approval process. Right now my plan only requires I see a pschyatrist, which is required by my surgeon. It seems to me that everything has been going so smoothly that when we do submit to the insurance I kind of expect to be denied lol. When things go easily for me I worry lol

Good luck to you! 
Lacee C.
on 3/12/12 9:04 pm - UT
 You too- let me know how yours goes! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views