QUESTION...VGB & RNY differences!

NadineM
on 6/30/04 12:02 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi, I have been denied several times now for the Lap-Band procedure. My denial states why I cannot be a candidate for the Vertical gastric banding or RNY. I thought my insurance would only cover RNY so I would like to know more about the VGB. Also, I have read here several people are needing to have revisions and be converted to RNY. Should I just go there first? I only have about 75-100# to loose. Can someone please tell me the major differences. Thanks! Nadine
Anitra O.
on 7/8/04 12:10 pm - Houston, TX
Ok usually insurance wont approve you for any of it unless you have at least 100 plus to take off UNLESS there are co morbitities, such as high blood pressure. A VBG is less "invasive" in my opinon. You dont get all your innards rerouted. I am now 11 weeks post op on my VBG and am doing great while I have a friend that had an RNY a week before me and she is not doing near as well. In the RNY the weightloss is a result of mal absorbtion because the food bypasses the normal route and heads right into the intestine that has been rerouted and connected to the stomach, this over time, results in a potential for a lot more complications, such as other health issues due to lack of proper nutrition. The VBG limits the amount of food you can take in and if you arent careful you spend a lot of time throwing up what you do eat.. learned that the hard way. Both are not to be taken lightly. Both over time can cause further problems but if you do what you are supposed to do and eat like you should then you will do fine with either choice. Look here under types of surgeries and learn, then do an internet search and read some more, educate yourself. There is a chance that unless you already have other health issues the insurance wont approve you. Neither are miracles and both take work on your part, also you have to be mentally prepared for the journey you choose to take. Im not saying you arent or that you are one of those that thinks this is a quick and easy fix. I know I have learned that in reality it is one of the hardest changes I have ever made in my life but I would do it again in a heartbeat if faced with the same choices. I only wish I had done it sooner but I am on my way now. I wish I could help you more. I know when I was trying to decide I did a ton of reseach and talked to a lot of people that had been thru both types of surgery and then I read some more. My decision was made for me because the doctor I picked, for his skill and based on referrals from friends that had used him, will only do the VBG except in extreme cases. He does the RNY but prefers the VBG due to less chance of complications both short and long term.
Lisa F.
on 7/16/04 1:18 am - Port Arthur, TX
Nadine, Just wondering what reason your insurance gave for denial of the Lap Band? LIsa F
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4325 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8582 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8100 views