Where are all the VBG people? Let's hear from you, OK?

Rosanne S.
on 4/14/04 2:14 pm - St. Paul, MN
I am still awaiting approval for the VBG. Had to have a cardiac echo first. Got my heart rate up to 150 and had such a headache I felt I was going to blow. Blood pressure was way high. So have another appt with the doc in the a.m. Now that I passed the echo, he said he would approve surgery. So more hoops. May have the surgery June 1st if all goes well. I wish there was more activity on the VBG message board. I would like to hear more updated information from people. I know some of you have just had surgery and I sure would love to hear from you all. The longer I wait, the more scared I get. I would love some motivation, please? Rosanne in St. Paul
Susan F.
on 4/14/04 11:40 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Congratulations on jumping through all the hoops...its all falling together for you and it wont be long! just hang in there! I know what you mean about not that many VBG'ers posting here, I ended up taking my posts to the main msg board or to my state (florida) board where I get a lot of responses and encouragement. I am 9 days post op from the VBG and doing GREAT! I had open surgery on the 6th. I have a 7 1/2 line on my belly with 33 beautifully shining staples that are hopefully coming out today! I went to the doc yesterday for a checkup as I have diabetes and my sugar was holding at 84...I was so excited and to top it off...I LOST 17lbs!!! I just can't believe it! This has been the best decision I have ever made in my life and I am so excited about the wonderful world that has opened up in front of me. And just so you know, the surgery went great, I haven't really had any pain since it happened. Of course the incision has been uncomfortable and sore and while in the hospital I was on pain meds but only took them for one full day once I came out and then it was to try and get rid of a headache. After putting some heat on it I was fine and after about the 4th day home, I have been feeling stronger and stronger. Today, I just went for a walk around my neighborhood. Its a beautiful day and I can't wait to go again! I hope this has made you feel more at ease about the VBG...if you are looking for other stories of VBG'ers...I found a lot..if you look over to your left, you see the column with all the lists? While you are on the VBG forum, go to "Roster of Members" and it should pull you the list. theres actually quite a few out there. I have read almost everyones profile, even sent them emails and recieved really great responses, and that helped me preop. The RNY'ers and other types of surgery have really good info too and great encouragement. If you get down to brass tacks, theres not a whole lot of difference between all the surgeries. Its a tool. If you use it, it will work for you, if you abuse it, it won't. Now that I have rambled on and on lol, please feel to contact me if you ever want or need to chat or ask questions. I am at home for now on Short Term so have plenty of time on my hands. Take care and good luck on your journey. It is a new and exciting time!
Dianne C.
on 4/15/04 12:02 pm - Fresno, Tx
Hi Rosanne, I have no idea where all the vbg people are. Most of the activity is on the main forum which is mainly rny people. Our surgery is so different and we don't have a lot of the requirements that they have so I wish we could get a little more info going here sometimes. I had my surgery 111-17-2003 weighing 252. I weigh 174 now but have kind of hit a plateau. I am starting an Atkins diet again. Last time I hit a plateau that did the trick. Of course we won't be able to eat the amount that you can but the low carbs really do the trick. I hear the rny people saying that they have to drink a lot of water. My doctor's office says we don't. I guess we can stretch our little pouch if we try to get too much in. We also don't have the malabsorption problems they have but they can swallow bigger pills than we can. We can't swallow any pill bigger than an aspirin. I am going to attend the Arlington Convention. Are there any vbg'ers going? I wrote them a note asking them maybe to have someone there for us. I heard Dr. Harberg might be there. I'm not sure. I'm doing well after surgery. Have not had any problems except for acid reflux which nexium eradicated. Don't get scared about the surgery. There are risks but ours is less invasive and I am sure you will do fine. There really is less pain with ours. Stay in there girl. You are on your way. Dianne Carroll
Rosanne S.
on 4/16/04 5:33 am - St. Paul, MN
Hi, Dianne, can you tell me how long you were off work? How did you feel like IMMEDIATELY after surgery? How big is your incision? WHat kind of foods do you eat now? How often? Did you have pain before due to weight and did the weight loss improve that? I have LOTTTTTTTTTTS of questions. Rosanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8570 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views