Correcting a (stupid!!!)mistake, please pray for my strength.

Susan F.
on 4/2/04 10:07 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi all, I want to be as completely honest as I can. I messed up big time. I am diabetic. My surgery is scheduled for 4.6.04. I have been eating all those 'foods I won't eat again' and didn't pay attention to my blood sugar. I had my preop testing yesterday 4.2.04. Everything went smooth. They took my blood and did an ekg. Then I was done. But when I got home, I rcvd a call from the nurse stating that my surgeon requested me to contact my PCP due to my high blood sugar. The nurse wasn't sure if the surgery would be able to stay on track and I won't be able to find out until Monday morning 4.5.04. The one thing I have going for me is that my dr didn't tell me to fast before doing the blood work yesterday so even though my blood sugar was very high, it could have a lot to do with the fact that we grabbed lunch right before the appt because I left work without taking lunch and I was told the tests may take up to 3 hours. Also, I now have this weekend to try and get it back under control and you can better believe I will be eating nothing at all bad this weekend. So if you could pray for me I would appreciate it. This was my last weekend and I was gonna do the 'last supper' kind of thing but now I can't and that is a big emotional let down as I am sure you all can imagine. BUT, I want this surgery so please pray for strength for me to be strong and do what I need to do. Thanks for listening and I hope that I will still be undergoing my surgery on Tuesday. Good luck to you all!
Jersey Girl
on 4/4/04 12:32 am
Susan, I did the whole last supper thing for like a month and a half before my surgery. hahahah. Luckily, I didn't gain any weight thought. I wasn't told to fast before my pre-op blood work either, and right before I had stopped at a 7-eleven and had all kinds of junk, including a cheese danish and Double Gulp of Coke. Anyway, they never said anything about my sugar levels, maybe they didn't check because if they did they should have been through the roof. So, as long as your sugar is back on track you should be fine for Tuesday. My surgery was also on a Tuesday last month. I ate up until Sunday at 9pm. Then I had to start my bowel prep (not pleasant). Now at 3 weeks, 5 days out I can pretty much eat what I want, but I don't. I've been staying away from bread and pastas. Sometimes, I'll go through the drive-thru to buy some french fries for my 13 month old (he's addicted to Wendy's fries) and if I really want one I'll have 1 or 2, and I'm fine. I don't deprive myself, but now my rare cravings are satisfied by just a little taste of something. The other day I had a bad craving for chocolate. The first time in three weeks. I went to Walgreens to drop off some film and found low carb chocolate covered pretzels. I ate an oz (5 little pretzels) and gave the rest of the bag away to my cousin. It was great! The craving was gone and I was able to move on. So don't worry about what you will or won't be able to eat. Just concentrate or getting your sugar down and you'll be fine. After sugery, make sure you have your sugar free popsicles on hand (the best!!!). I also like sugar free Tang. I make a pitcher and then put Splenda in my cup!!! Take Care, Alysia
Susan F.
on 4/4/04 7:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for that! I feel a lil better heh. I don't know if you are or not, but I am diabetic. So now I am trying to deal with the wanting to eat everything in site but can't I am having steak tonight though, with steamed veggies....it I can't have my huge chocolate cake, fine, but I want my steak hehe. Thanks again for posting, that helps me a lot! I can't wait to hear how your progress is coming along! Hope to see you on the losing side soon!!!
Allen Y.
on 4/5/04 11:23 pm - Garland, TX
My surgery was 2/1/02. I have lost well over 300 lbs. Don't think of this as the last time you can ever eat what you like again... It's just the last time you can have a heaping plate of it and go back for 2nd's, 3rds etc. Allen
Jersey Girl
on 4/6/04 12:03 am
Allen, You lost over 300lbs with VBG?! That is so inspiring!!! Have you had any revisions since your original surgery? What do you eat in a typical day? I see in your profile you bike, what other exercise do you do? I started at 475lbs, and my goal is 2something.
Dianne C.
on 4/8/04 11:30 am - Fresno, Tx
Amen to that. I too get cravings sometimes, I taste and can't eat enough to do anything. I am always thinking I am eating too much and then I weight and count everything and I am hardly eating. 300 lbs. is awe inspiring. I have lost 75 lbs already, my goal is 27 lbs more. You are an inspiration. Everyone talks about the rny being better. Both need committment. Dianne Carroll P.S. Will be putting a new picture up. Can't wait for you guys to see difference. Lost half my face.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8570 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views