Researching VBG

Lillian J.
on 1/29/04 1:21 am - Courtland, VA
Hello everyone. I have about a 100 lbs to loss. will be happy If I can lose 80. I think I would like the lap band or vertical band or adjustable band. not really sure which is which. I am a single parent and can't affort to take a lot of time from work. so quick healing time is a big factor. I was reading a few post and I see VBG w/sleeve. What is the w/sleeve part? what have been you experiences. I would like to make an informed discussion. My fear with gastric bypass is what will happen when I am 70 and the digestion process have been changed. can't seem to find any inform that it that far out. Please help. I am in the tidewater of Va. Tell me about your dr. as well. Thanks you all are the greatest. Have hypothyrodism will this slow weight loss?
Ryan B.
on 1/29/04 9:28 am - Capitol Heights, MD
Hi, Lillian. I haven't had my surgery yet, scheduled for Frb. 3, bit I can explain the w/sleeve part. It's called a Gastrectomy, in which your stomach is partially removed. 2/3 to be exact, I think. So your left with a stomache that resembles a small bananna. Good luck on your research!
sharon001
on 2/3/04 10:08 pm - WI
I chose VBG after my surgeon recommended the surgery to me. This is basically the reason for the decision. By rule I am not a "sweet eater". I would be classified as a "volume eater". i.e. Chinese Buffet for lunch, a couple of McDonalds sandwiches for breakfast, spaghetti or hotdish for dinner, etc. It was my plan to live into my 70's. I was in my mid 30's when I had surgery. I had been in counseling for close to 2 years dealing with my "issues". My goal weight is higher than most would choose. I had decided that I could be "happy" at 190. My beginning weight was 340. Based on this information the surgeon felt that I would be successful at VBG or RNY. VBG takes a little more "drive" because you CAN sabotage yourself by eating sweets. RNY has the malabsorbtion and dumping issues to keep you from sabotaging yourself. VBG is less invasive. I did not have the "sleeve". My lower stomach and intestines are intact. If at some point in the future science comes up with alternatives for obestity I could have my VBG reversed. You can not have RNY reversed (according to my surgeon anyway). If I were to get "cancer" or some other life threatening illness I could have the surgery reversed. I was totally unsure right up until the day of surgery if I was making the right choice or not to have VBG -- as of this date I am glad this is the surgery I selected. On occassion I CAN enjoy something sweet. I feel my weight loss of -61 pounds is acceptable. I am happy with how I am progressing. Hope this helps you. Sharon
Susan W.
on 2/23/04 5:23 am - Wheatland, IA
Hi I had the VGB and it did'nt work. It's been 3 years and I weighed 287 and I now weigh 261. I get sick on most everything I eat. I wish I went with the Roun-Y. I know alot of people that had that surgery and have lost over 100 pounds in less then a year and it stays off. I've went through a big surgery and still way over weight.
Lisa F.
on 3/16/04 9:19 am - Port Arthur, TX
To answer your question about VBG and Lap Band, the Lap Band and VBG are both restrictive procedures. The VBG is essentially a stomach stapling.The stomach is stapled to form a small pouch and then a mesh band is placed around a portion of the stomach to slow the emptying of the contents from the pouch.The Lap Band involves no stapling of the stomach the band forms the small pouch,the band has an inflatable lining that is filled with saline through a port in the abdomen this slows the emptying of the pouches contents.To find out more about the band visit the Lap Band forum on this site. By the way I was banded on 07/01/03 after being approved for both the band and VBG so far I have lost 83 lbs (just 18 away from the century club!!!) and I plan to lose about 60 more after that. Good Luck in your journey Lisa F
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4313 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8570 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8093 views