VBG in 87, lost 110#, band has migrated thru stomach wall

Beverly R.
on 1/19/04 4:13 am - Moultrie, Ga
Hello, I had the VBG in 87. I lost 110 pounds from Aug 30 87 to April 1 88. I was in the hospital for an unrelated problem, migraine that wouldnt go away. My Doc was off for the weekend, I was on Morphine so my thinking wasnt that clear. I was given two enteric coated pills which formed a upside down V and obstructed the Pouch. This rendered my surgery ineffective. I eventually gained all of the weight back. Currently, Endoscopies show that the Mesh Band, has migrated , with seventy five percent in the stomach and twenty five percent thru the stomach wall. I saw a leading Gastro Doc at a teaching Hospital in Fla. He says the band has to come out . He referred me to a surgeon who specializes in Gastric and Bariatric Surgery. I am awaiting the appt. I wonder if anyone else has heard of this. I know band Migration is seen in about 1.6 percent of the cases. I havent read anything about penetration thru the stomach wall. The risk here is perforation and subsequent peritonitis. If I have to have open abdominal surgery I will go for a revision, possibly to a Bypass. VBG was great for me in the beginning. My Hospital stay was uncomplicated. It took some time to regain my strenght , which is true in all cases I think after major surgery. I am interested in communicating with anyone here. Sincerely, Bev Ray
Joan K.
on 1/26/04 1:54 am - Hopkins, MN
Dear Bev, I am so sorry to hear about your struggle!! I know this type of thing can be very trying, to say the least. I would love to keep in contact with you and offer some support. Please feel free to email me and we can chat! Sincerely, Joan Kennedy
AUTISM M.
on 2/10/04 1:38 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Bev, I had the VBG in 1999 , I had staple line break down and just had a revision to the RNY. If you have any questons please feel free to email me. Good luck to you!! Kristin
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/04 1:14 am - WV
Bev, Hi there, I had the VGB done in 1992 and I also have had a staple line break down. I am awaiting approval from my insurance company for a revision. After having major stomach problems and speaking with a gastro doctor. He has suggested a revision to RNY. I have not gained back all my weight but I am well on my way. Dr. D that done my upper GI told me if I had not told him that I had the surgery he would have never known. I have really researched the RNY and I would perfer to have the DS. But my BMI is not high enough for the insurance to approve a DS. I just know I never want to go through this again. Best wishes, Tami Mitchem
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4313 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8570 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8093 views