5 Days Post Op-Pain in the stomach area?

rbudwine
on 1/27/12 11:49 pm
I am 5 days out my verticle sleeve procedure. I am able to drink all the protien shakes and water as recommended. I feel great when I am sitting. However,  when I raise to a standing position, I feel like my stomach and surrounding area are knotted up and it is very very painful. I called my dr about this and he suggested it could be muscle spasms. He recommended heating pads and a medication called valium. I have only been taking this medication for 12hrs and it is too soon to see if it really works.

Has anyone experienced this pain.? If so, how long should I expect this to last? and, any other remedies?

Ms Southern Bell

kam0520
on 2/5/12 7:51 am - AL
I get a pain when I stand up, if I put my arms up over my head it kind of pulls, but, one of my incisions is really swollen too.  Are you able to lay comfortably?  That is where I am most painful.  
rbudwine
on 2/22/12 1:43 am
Hi, I am now 30days post op. I am feeling great now. My dietician told me to increase my protien to help me heal quicker. I did that and I starting coming together. I am finally able to lay on my side and get out of the bed without discomfort.

At first, I thought I would never feel as good as I feel today. I have lost 31lbs in 30 days. I have so much energy, I feel like I can run a marathon. I was weighing 286 30 days ago and this morning I weighed in at 255lbs. I am so excited. I have been trying to get under 250lbs for the last couple years. I should be under 250 someday next week.

Congradulations on your surgery! And your inside muscles will start to mend soon. That burning and aching pain will start to diminish.  Just make sure you are getting enough protien to help those sore muscles get back to normal!
Max2Min
on 2/21/12 9:05 pm - NJ
I had Vertical Sleeve surgery on Feb 8.  My healing was making great progress the first week.  Over the last few days I have had severe abdominal pain - well below my incisions.  The pain felt like a pulling or burning sensation often followed by a numbness.  My surgeon had a CT scan done of my belly yesterday and everything was fine. It seems that it is muscular pain.  The largest incision (where they pulled out the excess stomache) has stitches several layers deep into the muscle.  He said that the pain could last a month as the stiched area heals.  I have no pain when I am not moving but am most uncomfortable when I get up from laying down.  Apparently my movement is pulling on my stomache muscles.  I am happy it is nothing more serious and look forward to getting past this healing.  My surgeon told me that a fever is the major symptom to indicate a bigger problem post-surgery.   Hope that helps and good luck!!.
rbudwine
on 2/22/12 1:49 am
Hi, thanks. I am now 30days out and I feel great! Lost 31lbs and can get up and down without the pain and discomfort! I increased my protien intake and I think that really helped me. I was also told to look out for fever as that could be a sign that something was wrong.

I prayed and trusted that God would allow me to heal. I feel awesome.  I can even lay on my side now! In my bed! Two weeks ago I  was still having a hard time getting up and down, but, today I don't feel hardly any pain! Good luck with your surgery!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8573 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8095 views