What is the difference??????

kim_in_alabama
on 4/7/11 7:16 am
Ok, from what I'm getting from the post in other rooms has just confused me.

What is the difference between the VGB, stomach stapling and Lapband aren't they the same thing?  What is the weight loss ratio for each if anyone knows.

I had my mind set on the sleeve, but now I'm learning that tricare won't cover it.  But RNY, VGB and Lap are covered.
I'm just looking for the best for me.
HELP Please!!!!!

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
Lois S.
on 4/9/11 12:15 pm - Neenah, WI
 RNY (gastric bypass) is a re-routing of the intestine so that food and calories don't get a chance to absorb. Stomach stapling is the old term and method for the VBG, which has been significantly changed over the years. The VBG and the Lap Band ar both restrictive devices that use a band to create a pouch the size of a large egg at the top of the stomach. People are able to eat very small meals and stay full longer. The VBG is not adjustable, and the Lap Band has an attached port under the skin where the doctor can add or subtract saline to tighten or loosen the band according to the patient's needs and weightloss goals. 

People who tend to be sweets eaters tend to do better on the RNY because of the "dumping syndrome" that can occur when too many sweets are consumed. The VBG and Lap Band tend to work well for people who tend to overeat, eat big, and eat often.

There is no one surgery that is superior to any other (my opinion). Every surgery is only as good and works as long and as well as the person *****ceives it. It is a life-long committment. Good luck to you and your search! I hope this helped.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4325 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8582 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8100 views