Venturing out of my comfort zone!

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/05 5:06 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Everyone, well sweet Greg would like to go out and eat Chinese food this weekend!! Yikes!! What do I eat. I know I DON"T eat rice, but what can I have? Has anyone done this? I know that's a dumb question cause you all are much more adventureous than me. Now if I say that I just can't find anything on the menu, and I don't think we should go, it won't break his heart, but I thought I would ask first. Hints?? donna
KathieKathie
on 12/22/05 7:05 am - Manassas, VA
Mmmmmmmm... Chinese! I do moo goo gai pain. It's chicken, in a white sauce, with veggies like peapods, baby corn, carrots, water chestnuts, etc. I also really love hot and sour soup -- GREAT protein in there! When I first started out, I would just eat the soup, and sneak 1 or 2 bites of whatever Jim had ordered. Oh, and if you can swing it, I highly recommend chopsticks! It'll slow ya down. Hell, when I was newly pre-op, I would even eat my non-Chinese food things with chopsticks, to really make sure I went slow. (I used to suck at chopsticks.) Just be careful of the sauces, because some things (like sweet and sour anything, or general tso's chicken) are sugar-loaded! Worse comes to worse, sneak a protein bar into your purse, just in case? Enjoy! Go be adventurous, and have a great time doing it! *hugs* Kathie
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/05 9:33 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Kathie, well we haven't made it to the Chinese yet, but at least I feel prepared!! Moo goo gai pan sounds good - I never really knew what was in it. I am going to have to learn the chopsticks! Greg is good at it, but I just flip them around!! That might work with slowing me down - I think I eat too fast. Thanks Kathie for all the tips - hope you had a great holiday and Happy New Year!! donna
A10sFrau
on 12/22/05 12:16 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Beef sticks--an appetizer, but beeef only. The hot and sour soup is great too. Beef or Chicken and Broccoli. Just ask them to hold the rice. Hope the MSG doesn't bother you. Lois
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/05 9:34 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Lois - beef sticks, sounds good. And so many people have recommended hot and sour I am going to have to do that as well. Thanks for the tips -- Happy New Year donna
jilldennis
on 12/22/05 6:06 pm - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Donna - Where have you been? I have missed you!!!!!!!!! You will do fine with Chinese. Sometimes the smells still bother me - but my family loves Chinese so we go out once or twice a month. I always share a hot and sour soup with my 10 year old and then just nibble at whatever anyone else is having. Sauces don't like me...which is just as well I guess. The only thing I miss is the egg rolls... Glad to see you are back! How are you doing otherwise? Give me a call or e-mail me! Hugs! Jill 261/164/140
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/05 9:37 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Jill!! Is that really your weight now -- 164!! Oh my gosh, you are just knocking those pounds off!! I want to see you!! When will you be in this area again that we can go to lunch!! Give me a couple of days notice if you can -- I seem to have lots of 'nothing' going on these days. love donna p.s. Happy New Year Jill to you and your family!!
TammyNVA
on 12/23/05 5:23 am - Chesterfield, VA
Donna, My newest favorite thing is the vegetable soup with tofu. My chinese restaurant makes it soooo fresh and delishious. They also have an entre with the veggies and tofu. Tofu is high protein and easy on the tummy. I picked out a few veggies I knew I'd have trouble with, like celery; broth is naturally fat-free! Stay away from the rice and anything greasy. Also, most chinese sauces have a lot of sugar especially the brown and red ones, so be careful. Good luck and enjoy, Tammy 24 days post-op
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/05 9:39 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Tammy - you lost me on tofu!! I just don't like the looks of it. No, I've never had it, but it looks too slimey and yucky. I know that sounds like I'm 10 years old or something!! Thanks for the tips and maybe if I shut my eyes and didn't know it was tofu I could do it!! Happy New Year donna
David@Goal
on 12/23/05 12:26 pm - VA
Donna - I stuck to egg drop soup for ages - THEN I upped the anti to the Hot & Sour - you can have them add extra tofu! Tread slow!! David
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 887 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2212 views