Hello fellow Utahn's!!

BlondeOne
on 6/3/10 4:41 am - Roy, UT
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the board.  Just wanted to drop in and say HI! 

I was thinking of getting the lap band, but after reading everyone's stories on here, I think I've changed my mind and will be doing the Sleeve.

I have gone in for my initial appointment, done all my labs, and am just trying to decide on what to do before I go in for my second appointment to schedule a date.

I have the federal Altius insurance, and they do cover the Sleeve surgery, but only if I have a co-morbid condition, as my BMI is only 35.  At this time, I don't have any co-morbidities.  I just had a sleep study done and that came back normal...  :(   I do get migraines at least 5 times a month, and went to a neurologist and he said he thinks it's due to the weight.  I also have lower back pain as well.  My Dr. is fine with doing the surgery without one of the main co-morbidities -  it's just getting the insurance to pay.  I may just go self pay so I can get it done and get on the road to happiness.  I need to lose about 90-100 lbs.

Your stories of success are very helpful and make me want to get started!!!

Highest/Surgery Weight 230 Goal Weight 140 Current Weight 190
Starting BMI 36.6 Current BMI 28
My height is 5'7.

funeebonez
on 6/23/10 7:08 am - Logan, UT
Welcome!  I too have Dr. Cottam as my surgeon.  He is very good at what he does.  I am excited for you to start this journey, it has been so worth it and I am so amazed everyday the changes I am experiencing.

Welcome Welcome!!
Naked_Lizard
on 7/6/10 9:43 am - West Haven, UT
Congrats on getting the WLS, its a big step and one that I dont regret, I hope your the same. Keep us updated on your journy.
Toni
HW/298 ~ SW/285 ~ CW/161~ GW/140
OnederLand & Century Club - 11/29/2010

BlondeOne
on 7/7/10 6:08 am - Roy, UT
Hello again!  Thanks for your replies!

So yep, I'm going to do the sleeve.  I found out for sure that my insurance won't pay because I don't have a co-morbidity, so I'm a little bummed about that.  BUT, at least now I know what I need to do.  I'm looking for a good finance place for self pay - so any ideas on that would be really helpful.  I need to get the ball rolling on this, as I had my physical and labs done in May, and I don't want them to expire and have to do all that again. 

Keep the posts coming!

Thanks everyone! 

My height is 5'7.

Baby Blues
on 8/26/10 4:40 pm - Roy, UT
There are several self pay options.....

medical credit loan

credit card

home equity line of credit

personal loan from family or friends

cash out investments

You could also wait a year and see what kind of comorbidities you develop.  Who is your primary care physician? Mine told me that if you are obese then there are comorbidities lurking. It's your doctor's job to find them no matter how much they are hiding. 

Good luck on your journey.

xox
Tammy
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
BlondeOne
on 9/8/10 8:26 am - Roy, UT
I will have to check into the Medical Credit Loan.  That one sounds like it might work for me.  The insurance girl at the weight loss surgery dr.'s office called and said not to give up hope just yet...  She was trying to dig to find things that the insurance might accept - so I'm still trying.

My PCP is Dr. Wood at the Ogden Clinic in Roy.  I have had him do so many tests and everything is coming back negative.  LOL!  I know there are things lurking... my sides hurt after I eat, so I'm thinking that's either a gallbladder or kidney issue, and some other things.  He says all looks good though?!?!  Yeah, I thought about waiting a year to see what happens, but I have a cruise coming up in April and wanted to be done by then.  Ha Ha! 

What PCP do you have, maybe I'll go to them?

Thanks for the info Tammy!

My height is 5'7.

Baby Blues
on 9/8/10 8:32 am - Roy, UT
I go to Wasatch Family Practice in Layton. I see Dr. Gardner. He freakin rocks. I love him like a member of my family. LOL

Don't think I've met Dr Wood. I have gone to Dr Alstrom at the OC in Roy but he's my Gyno.

One other thing....if you can handle a part time job, Starbucks is hiring and they offer insurance that covers weight loss surgery. I only worked part time (20+) hours a week and qualifed for insurance. It's something worth checking into.  And Starbucks doesn't discriminate against heavy people at all. I used to work at the Clinton location. I'm still there on a daily basis. I need my fix. LOL

Let me know if I can help more.

xox
Tammy
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
BlondeOne
on 9/20/10 1:51 am - Roy, UT
It wasn't Dr. Wood that I meant to say, it's Dr. Zavala - that's who I go to.  Duh - I must have been having a Monday. 

Anyways, it's not that I need the insurance, I have the insurance, just not the co-morbidities.  So I don't need the part time job thing.  Thanks for the info though.  LOL!

My height is 5'7.

Most Active