select health

alan243
on 4/16/09 3:56 am - sandy, UT
Well to no avail the powers that be at select health have denied me again, man this is getting old! Looks like surgery is out of the question for me, at least here in the states. Just can't afford 28,000.00.. Sorry to RANT just really frustrated!
Amberkhan
on 4/17/09 5:36 am - Clinton, UT
Are you going for RNY or DS?

At RMAP RNY is $18,475. You could save 10k! 

alan243
on 4/17/09 6:05 am - sandy, UT
WOW now if I only had 18,000.00    anybody want to give me 18,000.00?
Fade2Pink
on 4/18/09 2:52 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Will they not cover any surgery or just a particular surgery?  

I have SelectHealth and they cover a portion of the RNY and the LapBand.  They denied my appeals for the DS. 

Perhaps you can talk with your Human Resources department about having bariatric surgical procedures added to your company's insurance coverage. 

Don't give up.  Weight loss surgery is becoming more popular and available. 
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

alan243
on 4/18/09 3:33 pm - sandy, UT
I was trying for the RNY it was medically necessary,  HR is not willing to add the rider due to the cost and that we only have 8 employees total,
Jennigirl
on 11/2/09 10:37 am - Lehi, UT
We have Selecthealth, my husband is in the process of getting approved IHC has there own person that makes you follow the steps.  I would check in with SelectHealth.
alan243
on 11/2/09 11:29 am - sandy, UT
i have talke to everyone that I can. if you have someone that i can call i am all for it
Amber N.
on 11/15/09 8:48 am - Lehi, UT
Good Luck Alan,
I was living in Virginia when I was denied my band from Aetna (they are never going to be on my Christmas card list).  I fought for a year.  We ended up refinancing a bunch of stuff and had to pay for it out of pocket.  My surgery was only $13500, which is a lot and we're still paying for it.  We moved to Utah at the begininning of the year and now have Select Health.  It's been a pain in the tail.  Being one of the bigest insurance companies in Utah and my husband works for IMFlash which has several hundred employees, I was shocked that they didn't provide coverage. I need to have my band adjusted but have been putting it off for lack of coverage. 

Keep fighting, it's such an up hill battle but it they can see the light it will be worth it.  Don't they understand that having the surgery will save them money over the long run?  Have you thought about talking to an attorney or an advocate?

Again, best of luck!!!!
Amber

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. ~ Thomas Edison   

293.5 lbs - July 19, 2007 Lap Band
190 lbs - Current
20 lbs to Goal 
13 weeks pregnant

Most Active