Where & how to start???

island_princess
on 5/2/08 11:20 am - Orem, UT

Hello, I am brand spankin new to this forum & had some questions. I recently watched the 60 Minutes about Gastric Bypass & how it could possibly be the new cure for type 2 diabetes. I have since been researching everyday about the subject & have decided I want to have Gastric Bypass Surgery done. From all the websites it seems like I am the pefect candidate. (Morbidly obese, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, 43 BMI, etc.) I have written my insurance company & they have informed me that they do not cover this surgery. My question is where do I go from here? I don't even have a regular physician, only an Endocronologist (sp?) for my type 2 Diabetes. If anyone could give me some suggestions, because my family is not too supportive of my decision, I would really appreciate it :)  Thank You, Island Princess Ps- I am in Utah County.

Marvlous
on 5/4/08 7:03 pm - West Jordan, UT
Dear island princess: I live in West Jordan.... , Utah County isn't too far from SLCity.  I had RNY, Gastric Bypass surgery Nov 8, 2005 at St Marks Hospital.  The surgeon I chose was Rodrick D. McKinlay, with Rocky Mountain Associated Physicians.  All the surgeons there are excelent and the group has been around along time.  They have a toll free phone number 1-800-999-9970, their local phone # is 268-3800..  They also have a web site:  www.utahbariatrics.com. Check out the web site, it's not as active obviously like this web  site, that has people all over the world posting on it  but there is a message board and most of the  people posting on it have used RMAP. They actually have an introductory meeting you can go to at no cost and learn more. I was fortunate to have an insurance that would pay for my surgery but there are many people who have been self pay patients.   There are also many others who have been able to change their current plan during open season for their insurance and select one that will pay for the surgery. Just one other comment.  I had Type 2 Diabetes for about 5 years prior to having surgery and  2 1/2 year post surgery still no sign of the diabetes. Best wishes Marva

Marva

267/158.0/150 (my personal goal 130) BMI was 43.0 / now 24.69

island_princess
on 5/5/08 7:48 am - Orem, UT
THANK YOU!!!! Miss Marva you are a lifesaver. Your story is very inspiring & I hope one day I will no longer have diabetes. The website is PERFECT & I have already signed up for classes. I hope you have a wonderful, healthy, long life full of happiness! Thank you again Sincerely,  Island Princess
theriding5
on 5/6/08 8:10 am - provo, UT
Hi my name is Jenny I live in provo,ut I had my wls (rny) march 24,08  I had a GREAT  doctor in orem, his name is dr. david hilliam he pushed for my surgery and helped my through all my insurance he is WOUNDERFUL!!!!! His number is (801) 234-8600 Good luck to you if you have any questions let me know, Jenny  BTW He refered me to dr, christa rhichards in SLC
Julia23
on 5/6/08 4:08 pm - UT
Hey girl-             I live in Utah county too.  Actually not far from you. I'm in A.F.  I had my surgery March 13th,2008 by Dr. Smith through Rocky Mountain Physicians.  I LOVE HIM.  I was refered to him by the woman I take care ofs daughter in law. She had the RNY done like 15 years ago.  She is still doing well and has had a complication FREE 15 years! I was a self pay but am afraid that I don't know much about it because I did not finance it, etc.  But if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me on here, or my aol account:  [email protected] Good Luck!  Julia
Star_Beneath_The_St
airs

on 5/9/08 5:47 am - Draper, UT
hey there! im in draper and had rny with RMAP Dr. Mckinlay in july 2007 , I self paid because insurance was just too difficult about it all.. i got financed through America Fisrt Credit union i took out 2 loans for it and i dont regret it a bit!! Id suggest also going to the information class at RMAP at st. marks hospital theyll give you some good information about financing and things like that.. good luck!!!
island_princess
on 5/9/08 10:10 am - Orem, UT
Thanks for the advice from everybody & Star_Beneath_The_Stairs. I am going to have to finance it because my insurance are SOOOOO Not having it. LoL. Which is ok. I don't mind working my butt off for this. I also have a meeting with RMAP so I am SO excited about this. Thanks for all the support. Even though it's just info everyone is giving me it feels like more support than I currently have! Love, Peace,  & Low Fat Chicken Grease, Island Princess
Baby Blues
on 5/28/08 7:45 am - Roy, UT
Just wanted to let you know that RNY does NOT "CURE" diabetes...it only puts it into remission.  And if you regain weight, it will come back.  The only surgery that "CURES" diabetes is DS.  I had mine done at RMAP with Dr. Steven Simper.   Good luck on your journey! Tammy
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
kittyme
on 8/16/08 3:02 am

Aloha, girl!
I wanted to know if you ever received any supportive information to your May post.  I just joined this site only because I live in Provo, and cannot afford the gas to and from SLC to attend their support group.  I had my lapband surgery in May 2008, only four months ago, and I am floundering, and need help and support myself.  That's the reason I joined this on-line group.
So, I'm just starting out, too.
Did you attend the registration class for the Surgical Weight Loss Center of Utah?  Tell me where you are in the process.

e komo mai.

kittyme

Most Active