Surgury in Moncton...

IslandMomma
on 3/20/12 7:05 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
Hey guys...I am new to this site, so I am not sure who has the info that I have...if you do..then you can stop reading...but if you want to know more about Moncton...read on....

I first asked my GP to put my name on a list to see someone back in 2003....I think I was on a list in NB, then they closed, so next I was put on in Halifax....then back to Moncton...they have the out of prov. people on a separate list...so it does take time...but I finally got in to see Dr B in Sept...he has reccommmed the "Sleeve" surgury....I have since gone back for the full day info session and again for the visit with the "Head" doctor....She has approved me for the op and now I sit in Charlottetown waiting for my next call which will be my appointment with Dr B and I will actually get my surgry date.....I will also at that time get the info on the 2 week "shanke" diet that I will have to do directly before the date. (to be ordered from Momtreal...about $200) After one week of shakes, I have to go back to show what I have been able to lose on the shakes and to get finaly approval...they say if you cheat on this diet, the scales will tell and the surgury will be postponed.
SO now I sit and wait...I can't wait...

SO that is the deal in Moncton...I think you still need a referal from your GP...but, Dr B is fantastic....very nice, young and will answer any questions you have.....I do have the office number if anyone wants it...They may be able to tell you how the wait time is now...

Thanks for listening
132sunshine
on 3/23/12 10:23 am
 Hi Island Momma,

I just had gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. B in Moncton on Feb.14. I had been on the waiting list since 2004 and just got my call the last week of April 2011, so it took 10 months for me to go through the whole process. So, it sounds like you are making very quick work of your process. 

If you ever want to chat, just message me. 

Best of luck in your adventure!
IslandMomma
on 3/23/12 9:40 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
 YES, please...it sure would be a help to have a local who has had the same surgury done and recently....how are you going??  I have many questions....I actaully go over to sign off for the surgury next Friday the 30th...so I figure from what the office told me, I could be "sleeved" by early May or so!!! Good timing for me, the kids are still in school and I have the summer off work to get out and get more active....(we have 3 boys aged 13-8.5 years, then we have a girl 2 years..)

SO how about you??  How was the 2 week shake diet?? Hard??  Tasty?? I have been on the Atkin plan for 5 weeks now and really actually enjoy it...I am NEVER hungry after my meal, and I even sometimes forget to have my snack if I am busy....I am down about 12 lbs just from that and I plan to stay on the food plan until the shake diet.  The biggest thing for me is that I have no cravings for food and do no late night snacking....very happy

I would love to hear all about how you have been going and any suggestions you have....how about the actual stay in the hospital??  Was it just over night or did you stay longer??  Have you started the "blended diet" yet??

Thanks for reaching out and I look forward to many talks...

132sunshine
on 3/24/12 4:20 am
I started on solids last week and have been doing fine. I can only eat a couple of bites of food, so am making the protein that I can get in count.  I lost 21 lbs pre surgery and about 25 lbs since surgery. I have been in a stall for a week and a half.... I have only dropped about a pound and a half. No need to freak, I change things up a bit every day and see what may work.

If you are on Atkins' you probably won't have too much of a problem with the liquid diet. I had a hard time for the first three or four days but than it got better. The shakes were not too bad that I ordered, much better if you have a blender and I added, coconut or vanilla flavour to them. I only ordered the vanilla. I also ordered the bars, because I thought I would like to have something to chew, they were absolutely horrible and ended up having to substitute diabetic boost to get me through the two weeks. I have some of the bars left if you would like them, they cost $21 a box and if you can tolerate them, that would be great, just let me know? I am sure they know what they are talking about, but I think there are other options available to us. I wondered whether having to order the shakes was almost a way of tracking our seriousness because they receive notice of whether you order them or not. But, who cares it worked and he said everything was great when he went in to do surgery.

As for the hospital stay... I was supposed to be there for 11am and surgery at 1. I did not have surgery until 2:30pm. I was only in surgery for a little over an hour, I guess. I was very hot after surgery and they gave me a fan in my room in ICU. I got to the room after recovery about 4:30pm. My mouth was so dry and they gave me a sponge to wet my lips with water. They gave me blood thinners and pain killer shots quick frequently. I was in and out of sleep all night. I got up about 10 pm and went to the bathroom. Was weak but did not mind getting up at all.

They came at 6 am to take blood, check for any abnormalities such as leakage, although I guess they know almost right away if there is a leak. The Dr. came in around 9 and said I was ok to go home if I felt that I could. I felt ok at that time and thought to myself 'well if he thinks I am good to go, I guess I am'. I should have stayed. The drive back to Charlottetown was very unpleasant and I was in pain when I got home. I kind of panicked because I was so far away from the hospital. The pain was primarily the air they talk about not my incisions etc.... I called Monique and she was great, she assured me that she thought it really was just the air and to walk and walk and sip and sip. I also, doubled the script from the Dr. for the first 24 hours. So, all in all, the first 24 hours home were not wonderful. I had never had surgery before and I think that was also part of my panic. Everyone is different, so I guess you can just play that one by ear.

Anyway, if you want to connect sometime and chat in person, that is fine with me as well, it would be nice to have a group on PEI, some people to chat with. It is good to have a support system. Your family can only understand so much!

I just joined this yesterday and will have to investigate it further to see if there is a way you can send private messages... I don't really want to make my phone number or e-mail public.

TTYL
IslandMomma
on 3/24/12 5:25 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
Okay...great...I agree about the phone number thing....I wuld like to get togather and meet sometime, and if the bars are okay...sure I would buy them from you...were there different favors of bars?? I am in East Royalty, so we sure can meet up sometime before the first of May or so...

I am hoping to come home the day after, like you, but need to keep all that in mind about the air and pain....

I will let you know my date after my next meeting on Friday the 30th.

Thanks
132sunshine
on 3/24/12 9:25 am
I live in East Royalty too! I am leaving for Cuba next Tuesday and will not be home until April 7th. We can meet up after that and chat. The bars only come in peanut butter flavour, and if you like them you can have them, I certainly will not be using them and was just going to take them over to the clinic next time I had an appt. (which is April 12), so we should try to meet up before than. 

I should have kept track of all of my appointments but I think I went over in December to sign my papers and had surgery Feb. 14. So, if everything goes well for you, you should be in late April early May, that is great! 

Anyway, I am on here everyday if you have any questions, I really don't mind. 

IslandMomma
on 3/24/12 10:01 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
Nice...we live close to Mel's, so maybe we could meet up for a walk or something..Then we could swap e-mails and phone numbers..I finish up my seasonal job on Sat April 7th, so please do drop me a quick note and we can meet up before you go back over to the clinic...I hope I like the bars...I think I would like to have something different than the shakes over the 2 weeks....Do you have much to lose?? I have never really been told what my "goal weight" should be...but I figure I have about 170 to lose as of today....how much did you lose on the pre-op shake diet??

Have a GREAT trip...you are brave to travel so soon after the surgury....you go....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still here?
Livewithnoregrets · 2 replies · 1214 views
Going on 5 years out
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3795 views
Posts?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3833 views
workouts / exercise?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3624 views