Soberversary - 3 years

jastypes
on 6/3/13 12:59 am - Croydon, PA

I wanted to come here and share and hopefully encourage others who may be struggling with a transfer/cross addiction to alcohol.  Many people continue to join the OH Crossing to Transfer Addictions forum, although few post.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/ Everyone's journey is different.  Here is some of mine.

I had RNY surgery on May 31, 2007.  Prior to surgery, I drank alcohol rarely and in moderate amounts -- like a glass or two of wine with a holiday dinner.  I did not drink at all for the first 6 months after surgery.  At about 6 months out, I drank alcohol again rarely.  But at about 16 months out, noticed a regular routine of drinking once a week, a couple of drinks.  Over a very short period of time, those drinks got stronger -- more rum; then more quantity was consumed - 1 drink became 2, then 3; and more frequent -- once a week became twice or three times.  Within a few months after that, I knew something was wrong, and I was not consuming alcohol like "normal" people.  I was hiding liquor, drinking alone, sneaking drinks when I was with others -- all behaviors that tipped me off to having a "problem" with alcohol.  So I decided I needed to stop drinking altogether.  And I found that I could not stop.

My "problem drinking" progressed into full-blown alcoholism, and I believe that due to my RNY, it developed much more quickly than in someone without their intestines having been re-wired.  In that next year, as I tried to stop drinking, I actually got worse.  My quantity increased.  I could drink a bottle of wine, or vodka or rum in an evening, and I would do it most evenings.  More progression had me drinking on my lunch hour, then during work time.  At the end of my drinking, I was drinking morning, noon and night, just to maintain a sense of normalcy... I found I could not function without the alcohol.

In trying to get sober, I tried rehab, outpatient intensive therapy, outpatient general group therapy, private counseling, AA, SMART Recovery, Women for Sobriety, Sober24.com, self-help books --- you name it, I was trying it!!!  I did not get sober right away.  It took me two years to get 90 days.  I finally got that 90 days when I surrendered and told my God that I would do WHATEVER he said in order for me to get and stay sober.  I was led back to church and back to AA where I finally agreed to put myself in the hands of others who had gone before me.  I was willing to take suggestions.  I was willing to work the 12 Steps of recovery.  And God gifted me with sobriety from the moment I prayed with someone in an AA clubhouse parking lot on June 3, 2010.

I am not perfect.  I do not get everything all right.  I still struggle with food issues.  I am grateful that one day at a time I no longer have any desire to drink alcohol and have not had any in three years now.  I try to work the 12 step program of recovery to the best of my ability one day at a time, and that includes the 12th step -- having had a spiritual awakening, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Thanks for letting me share.  If you need someone to hear you, please feel free to PM me.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 6/3/13 2:25 am - Maple Shade, NJ

angry

Jill,

Congratulations on your Sobriety, as a fellow recovering alcoholic, I know what a challenge it is to admit that one has a problem and then become willing to accept the solution for that problem; I applaud you for your willingness to do as the AA 12th Step states, for no one can understand better about the task of getting sober than one who has already been there. . . wishing you many more, One Day at A Time!!!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 6/3/13 5:08 am - Perry, MI

Congratulations on three years.  That is awesome.  I know how hard it is in the beginning. 

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lisa H.
on 6/3/13 10:52 pm - Whitehall, PA

Jill.. I am so proud of you and all of your awakenings and accomplishments.  You have a lot to be proud of!!  Mazel Tov!!!

My tracker

hers 

IdaMae D.
on 6/5/13 7:51 am - Philadelphia, PA

congratulations on your 3 years....

IdaMae

Angelique J.
on 9/18/13 12:11 pm - Allentown, PA

As an addictions therapist I say you should be so proud of what you have accomplished. As a WLS patient I say, wow, you have been through a lot and keep going strong. Congrats!

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2576 views