four years, warning: long bragging post

nata
on 10/31/12 11:50 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hugs, Of course you will, and I can't wait to read it, maybe yours will be about running a full marathon? I won't be surprised!

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
birdiegirl
on 10/31/12 8:06 pm

Hi Nata

I loved reading this....in fact I could have written almost the identical story - other then no diabetes pre surgery - but other serious health factors....and now I am healthy - take no meds other then the occasional tylenol -

I am also thankful you decided to stay on OH and provide your perspective as a long term WLS vet AND as a long term DSér.....its great for people to read, especially now they are offering more DS surgeries in Ontario

I also really appreciate your balanced view of the world ( in my opinion anyway!)....and your ability to view all WLS as what they are - a tool to assist the patient in weight control....

When I was starting out - I was offered all of the surgeries....including lap band.....and DS......I was one of the very early people to go thru the Ontario system......the registry wasn't set up etc......I have sometimes second guessed myself on my surgery choice....but for me and my likes and dislikes - RNY was the route to go....( I hate the taste and texture of fatty things......creme etc)

I worried I wouldn't be able to get all the weight off....or to keep it off.......but I was a good patient and followed all of the rules and got my weight off.....and am keeping the vast majority of it away at almost 4 years also......and I like my lifestyle of eating...it suits my taste buds...lol

Sorry - I didn't mean this to be about me.....enlightened...lol.....YOU have done so well Nata.....YOU have told it like it is......YOU have given back to the community.......YOU have had respect and balance in your comments and attitude....and I thank you for it all....

Your friend

Barb

nata
on 11/1/12 12:06 am - Ottawa, Canada

Oh Barb, you're making me blush.

I'm just trying to be honest. Surgery wars were useful thing for gathering information beyond standard minimum, but life corrected all exaggerations and I just saw how it is. Once we had quite an active group of DSers in Ottawa and I also have a few Graberritos friends with RnY, so I saw the truth that never makes it to the forum. Quite a few of us failed mostly due to misconception, that DSers can do whatever we want and that with RnY or VSG you can do crap "in moderation".  

My own first "regain" occurred at 13 months and I consider myself very lucky - My realization that wls is a hard work came just in time, before I sabotaged myself into a total failure. So my "balanced" approach is just what life taught me.

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
avivaps
on 10/31/12 8:47 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

You should be very proud of all you've accomplished, both personally and for the OH community.  I agree with others that your balanced approach to the weight loss options is a huge benefit for those here and your personal journey with a (as yet) less known surgical option  provides those who could benefit from it , a personal, realistic perspective.

Congrats,

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

nata
on 11/1/12 12:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for your words Andrea,

Wow, what a huge success you are!

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
ToNewBeginnings
on 10/31/12 9:47 pm

Thank you for this post Nata. Such an improvement in your health! 4 years - that's awesome!

nata
on 11/1/12 12:09 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks!

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
Niki L.
on 10/31/12 10:58 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Ty for sharing your story so happy for you and to be off all meds that is just the best

nata
on 11/1/12 12:15 am - Ottawa, Canada

Well Niki, it's not just off meds, it's "cured" - They do extended tests before deeming somebody cured from diabetes,etc. Mostly due to requirements of Ministry of transportation - people on high dosage of insulin are "reported" and required to test sugar every time before driving. "Clearing" from this requirement takes quite a few tests over almost a year after you're "healthy". But now even doing aviation medical I go through the system as non diabetic.

Nata, a very happy DSer!

204 pounds lost!!!!
sam1am
on 10/31/12 11:23 pm

Brag away, you deserve it!  Congratulations on your continued success and support of the Ontario OH board!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics