Hypoglycemia ..... wha?

hjoanneg9000
on 7/29/11 3:08 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 10/02/12
So, I ended up going to ER by ambulance from work today.  I am pre-op, not on optifast...just eating as  "sensibly"  as I can (baby steps).  When suddenly, I am shaking, then trembling, then contorting, sweat pouring down my face, tears (although not sad or scared) pouring down my face, and totally zoned out.  I keep a glucose monitor on me, so a co-worker took it....it was 4.1.

Long story short....I seem to be stable at 8 - 10, and if I dip below that I get hypoglycemic reactions.

How will this impact my surgery, post-surgery healing, and the surgeon's decision to go forward?

Any thoughts??
Heather

ericaFG
on 7/29/11 9:26 pm - Cambridge, Canada
I have never heard of someone being denied because of hypoglycemia.  In fact, many people are diabetic and on insulin and have WLS.  But it would be a good question to ask at your pre-surgery visits.

I was hypoglycemic (bad in my teens/20's, milder in my 30's) presurgery, and it has gotten worse again since surgery.  It is pretty common for people to get hypoglycemia (or for it to get worse) after surgery, from what I've read.  So you'll need to be conscious of that.

My personal solution is to reduce my "white" carbs, up my protein choices, and eat several small meals throughout the day.  I try not to go more than 3hours between protein focused meals.  I find that if I fall off that plan - particularly over a number of days - my RH gets worse and worse.  If I can stay consistent, so does my blood sugar.

Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

hjoanneg9000
on 7/29/11 9:29 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 10/02/12
Perfect! Thank you so much =)
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/11 10:08 pm - Windsor, Canada
The only thing I would wonder is if being hypoglycemic now would make a difference as to being worse with hypo later after surgery. I do not know if it has any effect but if it did somehow increase episodes of being hypo later than I would look into a vsg. You would need to discuss this with your surgeon.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ericaFG
on 7/29/11 10:17 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Dawn - I had the sleeve and my RH is worse post-surgery anyway.  The sleeve board has a lot of post-WLS sleevers with hypoglycemia.

I'd think it was worse with RNY because of the anatomy of the surgery - but maybe it is something else that makes us more susceptible to RH?
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/11 10:23 pm - Windsor, Canada
I didn't realize that the poster was reacting specifically just to optifast originally before I responded to the post.

Erica - I find that really quite interesting as the whole no hypo argument is one that people seem to quite when choosing vsg

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/11 10:26 pm - Windsor, Canada
Err..... Quote

Most Active
Recent Topics