Going to mexico for DS

skippyroo
on 4/6/15 3:41 pm - Halifax, Canada

No one has posted here this year it seems , so wonder where you all are. Looking for anyone who has had DS surgery. I am going in June to Mexico.

KRS2014
on 4/28/15 4:40 am
with

Best of luck on your surgery! Keep us posted :)

skippyroo
on 5/9/15 10:56 pm - Halifax, Canada

Thank you it is booked for the 5th June .

KRS2014
on 5/12/15 7:29 am
with

That is so exciting! I remember feeling so nervous about it all and then a calm just came over me as I realized I really needed to do this for myself and my young daughter who needed her mom to be around. I wasn't able to do anything fun with her and run around. My weight held me back and I didn't quite realize it until now. I am so excited for this summer. It's the first time in her 4 years of life that I can actually participate in activities with my daughter and take her on rides at the amusement park that I always avoided due to my weight. I used to make her father go on the rides and chase after her because I couldn't but he passed away so now I need to step up and do it myself. The weight loss has definitely helped me to keep up with her. It is a new life for me and I have no regrets. I would go back to Mexico in a heartbeat and do it all again. I made really great friends while I was there and you really become a family with others having surgery at the same time as you.

Best of luck to you! Your time is almost here!!!!

DustyB
on 5/9/15 8:04 pm - Canada

It's a shame you have to leave the country for needed surgery.  Good Luck !

skippyroo
on 5/9/15 10:56 pm - Halifax, Canada

Thanks for replying yes Halifax is no longer doing weight loss surgery and when it was the wait was 10 years. I guess we are bottom of the list. it is scary to have to go to a country you do not know but there is no choice. I thought we had a support group in Halifax but I cannot find it.

KRS2014
on 5/12/15 7:31 am
with

Oh no! I didn't realize Halifax wasn't doing them anymore. That is just awful. So many people need this life changing surgery.

cheekymama
on 5/17/15 6:58 pm - Canada

Halifax is definitely doing surgeries and have been going full tilt for the last 5yrs when a new team took over.

I meet Dr Ellesmere at the end of this month to get my surgery date- which they guess should be end of June.

But they are definitely doing them. The have info sessions for 50 referrals at a time- about 3x/yr and are trying to get to everyone.

I was referred in 2006ish if I remember correctly -had my info session end of Oct'14, did their required diets and psych workshops and showed them my food/exercise journals and showed a 17lb weight loss and they approved me to go ahead to next step of meeting surgeon and getting the date.

Hope this info helps some ☺

Sonya

DustyB
on 5/10/15 8:09 am - Canada

I know all about it.  Was referred in 2010 and needed surgery or die so I didn't want to wait until it was worse.  I couldn't eat hardly anything due to extreme GERD.  Looked into Mexico but was really afraid to go 2 countries away and back and then after care.  With the cost of surgery + flights + dollar exchange I came to my decision to pay more and have surgery in Canada.  Self-paid RNY with Dr Gagner in Montreal.  He and his staff were great.  He is one of the best.  Everyone has to make their own decision.

My health has greatly improved.

skippyroo
on 5/10/15 10:29 am - Halifax, Canada

That is awesome I am so happy it has improved. I have GERD and sleep apnea and now I am having severe breathing problems. I can not stand for very long and cannot walk far. If i do not do this I know I will die soon. I know their are huge risks doing this but the alternative is death anyway. Thanks so much for writing to me I very much appreciate it. Congratulations to you on your progress I know it is not an easy path.

Hugs to you

Sarah

Most Active