Can you give me some answers?

Poppytwo
on 6/17/07 11:09 am - wanganui, New Zealand
Hi there, I am currently not in NS, but moving there from overseas as my husband has got a new job in Halifax. I am very interested to know more about the Lap Band and where I can go to get it done, where the fills can be done, what the costs are and what support there is in NS. I will likely be self funding this as we wont be Permanent Residents for a little while and I dont want to wait for years if I can avoid it. Any suggestions or information you can give me about this?? Thanks!
Dr.WilliamGraber
on 7/13/07 1:01 am
Hi Rachel, Right now you may be able to the band done in Toronto but I don't know the wait times. We perform the bands here in Utica, NY. Let me tell you a little about the band and maybe the gastric bypass is best for you. The band requires fills every 6 weeks for the first 2 years and then every 4-6 months for the rest of your life. The weight loss is slower and patients will not lose as much weight with the bypass. If you have any questions you can call us. Good luck, Dr. Graber 315-624-4740
sprout
on 7/13/07 11:40 pm - kingston, Canada
Hi rachel I had the lap band done in Mississauga Ont. on July 3rd. I only had to wait 1 and 1/2 months and that was because I asked to have it July 3rd, I could have had it sooner. It cost me 16 thousand plus hotel and flight. I can get my fills in Halifax but of course haven't had any yet. I was more than pleased with the clinic and would recommend them. Their web site is www.obesitysurgery.ca Hope this is helpful. contact me if you would like more info. Sheri
MooseheadsII
on 8/6/07 10:10 am - Halifax, Canada
Dr. James Ellsmere does this surgery out of the QEII in Halifax. He is an extremely competent surgeon *****ceived research awards at Beth Israel in Mass. prior to coming here. He will let you know which type of surgery is best for you. You will need a referral from a family doctor to see him. Shirley
Poppytwo
on 8/6/07 11:56 am - wanganui, New Zealand
Shirley - is he new to the area? If not how is that so many seem to go out of Province? I am very interested in getting a referal when I get to Halifax, thank you so much ! I was starting to think that I would not get it done if it meant going so far away. This gives me real hope!
MooseheadsII
on 8/6/07 12:09 pm - Halifax, Canada
Hi Rachel, Dr. Ellsmere did his medical training here at Dalhousie University but has been working in the US until recently. He worked at Beth Israel in Boston before returning here. He is setting up a new program at the QEII for bariatric surgery. It does involve a process - you have to see him, a nutritionist, a counsellor, and an Internist before being approved for surgery. Dr. Ellsmere has done a lot of work in the area of gastric band surgery while in the States. But I will be having gastric bypass. I have significant health problems that will improve with this surgery. I'm not sure how long it will take for me to get the surgery at this point. I am just beginning the process. But Dr. Ellsmere says that with my health problems that I am very high on his list. Shirley
Poppytwo
on 8/6/07 12:21 pm - wanganui, New Zealand
That is such great news that he has returned, I was about ready to abandon my plans for surgery, but knowing that someone who can oversee you after surgery is in NS is great. It sounds as if he is taking your health issues very seriously and how great is that? I am so pleased for you and I want to know how you get on.
Most Active