Are there Bariatric Surgeons in NS?

MLM
on 8/7/06 11:43 pm - Quebec City, Canada
I've recently moved from SK to NB. I got the LapBand in ON from Dr. Cobourn about 5 months ago, and am now stuck here with no one to do my fills (which if you don't know about the band, it's the most important function) ... I've been in contact with the one guy in NB (and seemingly the Maritimes), and he's refused to do it for me. The best they could suggest was that I get in touch with the "Halifax hospital" (didn't know the name, or name of a dr), because she said they do bariatric surgery, and maybe they could do it. I imagine if someone there did the LapBand, that people wouldn't be seeking out of province coverage (like Laurie?) to go elsewhere. Do they only maybe do the RNY? Does ANY one know of someone who does fills in the Maritimes? This is all very frustrating and upsetting, cause I need this, and no one is willing to help me!
Mac-Donald
on 8/8/06 9:30 pm - Somewhere in, Canada
Good Morning M M! I received my lapband on May 5/06 also from Dr. Coboourn and have been on the same quest to find someone who will do fills here in N.S. So far no luck! Am from Cape Breton and I'm going to Mississauga again on Aug.21 for second fill. I think they used to do RNY surgery at the QE11 Health Sciences Centre in Halifax but don't know if that has continued or not. Lapband is not done here in N.S. and our Health Plan doesn't cover it if you go to Ontario! Don't even know if they would cover it here even if they did it here!! What a dilema -- lots of publicity to LOSE WEIGHT etc., etc., but no coverage. Guess the system makes more $$$$$ treating overweight patients! Dr. Cobourn had someone interested to do fills (another Dr.) in Halifax a month or so ago but he/she changed their minds and "yes" it is rather frustrating as it is a big BILL to have to go to Ontario. How is your weight loss going along?? I've been at a standstill for several weeks.....fighting with the same three or four pounds!! Take Care. Barb M
MLM
on 8/8/06 10:38 pm - Quebec City, Canada
Hi Barb! Yeah, I knew about the Dr. in Halifax that would have maybe been doing fills.... but was told also that there's no luck with that. I've given up on Dr. Beausoleil, and I've maxed my Visa out to go to Missisauga next week... GRR! Hopefully this fill will be good, and it'll last long enough for us to have something available in the Maritimes! As soon as I find a family doctor here, providing they're understanding (of WLS), I will ask if they'd be interested in learning how to do fills. What about you, have you asked your family Dr. if she/he would be interested in doing that? I'd love to make trips to Cape Breton! I've lost about 27lbs since surgery. Most of that was earlier on, and lately I've been losing a pound here, gaining a pound there... losing half a pound. It's soooo slow. But I'm happy that it's anything at all. And for once, I've continued to lose (even if its off and on) continuously for 5 months! I'm hoping just a little bit of a fill will help things out. How long are you staying in Missisauga? Do you have anything in place for in case you suddenly find yourself too tight, after you get home? I don't, so unfortunetly I probably won't get as much as a fill as I'd need. I'm crossing my fingers that nothing bad like that happens, cause it would be VERY bad, if I had to fly back to Toronto again! How about you, how have you done so far? Mandi
paramedic
on 8/10/06 3:12 pm - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Mandi and Barb; I have been very blessed that Dr. C has allowed me to do my own fills. It did go well I am glad to say The things that you are writting about were some of my own concerns as well. Barb glad to hear that everything is going well. Mandi any luck in locating a family doctor? Maybe he/she maybe interested in assisting you. I have lost a total of 37 lbs and 24 inches. I have 1cc in my band at present. Mandi you will have a hard time finding a wls doctor in Halifax since they have ceased the wls program all together. There are no plans to start it again any time soon. They were only doing RNY's anyway. Good luck Laurie
Mac-Donald
on 10/26/06 9:46 pm - Somewhere in, Canada
Hi Mandi: Just to let you know there is a critical care nurse from Pictou, working at the Aberdeen Hosp. in New Glasgow, who is now doing fills for those of us in N.S. She did my third one last week and I got along just fine. Hope everything is going well for you!! Barb from Cape Breton
nadineisnot
on 3/23/07 10:17 pm - amherst, Canada
the dr got a new secetary. hes been doing alot more fills, and i think teaching his nurse how to do them, it never hurts to try and gice them a call up again and ask the worse they will say is NO Beausoleil, Sylvain 667 rue Champlain suite 110 Dieppe NB E1A 1P6 GeS 00-02169 Sher 1995 (506)-858-8199 (506)-858-9012 hope u get some local help, cos halifax is way to far to traville for a little fill. Nadine,
MLM
on 3/24/07 4:45 am - Quebec City, Canada
Hi Nadine, How recently was that that he got a new nurse?
Most Active