I did it!

mark70669
on 5/26/09 8:21 am - tijeras, NM
After much procrastination I finally went to Dr. Lara's seminar in ABQ. I have my initial consultation in two weeks in El Paso.

I found out that my insurance company does cover Gastric Bypass. I also found out I have a BMI of between 41 and 42 and have several other medical issues. (hypertension, lower back problems, sleep apnea)

I am hoping at this point that insurance approval is a formality.

Wish me luck!
panorris
on 5/26/09 9:17 am - Las Cruces, NM
Congratulations on taking your first step!  My insurance company (Aetna) covered the surgery, but in addition to proving medical need, I had to be on a medically supervised diet for 3 months.  At first I looked at it as a pain in the neck, but it turned out to be my saving grace.  Working with the nutritionist for 3 months really put me in the right mindset, I lost 58 pounds before surgery, and have not waivered from the diet since.

Good luck with getting approval.

Pat

Starting Weight:  282 lbs.
Day of surgery:  224 lbs
Current weight: 116.0 lbs
Goal weight:  135 lbs.

meinnm
on 5/27/09 1:48 am
Congrats!  I also had to do a pre-op diet (6 months).  I went ahead and joined WW.  The time went by so fast.  Just follow what Dr. Lara says.  If he says lose 10 lbs, you better lose 10 lbs or more!  He's strict, but I think that's a good thing.  If you have any questions about the surgery, feel free to ask.  I had my surgery on 3/18 and have had zero complications! 

Mary
Most Active