conditions before surgery

rebecca P.
on 7/10/03 3:24 pm - booneville, ms
would anone mind sharing with me what conditions u had going n before surgery like diabetes etc. i just found out yesterday i may be developing diabetes and im 38 days away from surgery. im so ready for this and so nervous and scared also. thanks rebecca
Diane M.
on 7/11/03 12:22 am - Florence, MS
Hi Rebecca I just had the adjustable lap band 7/8/03. I'm a diabetic, controlled with oral meds, and have hypertension. My PCP has been telling me for years he felt like I would be off meds for these 2 condictions by just loosing some weight. Talk with your PCP or surgeon about this but since you haven't even started meds I'm betting you won't have too as you loose weight. Diabetes is sometimes caused by things other than being overweight but even if this is in your case my surgeon said I would be able to receive enough food to keep my diabetes under control. I had an esophogeal stricture and hiatal hernia I was concerned about but now my surgeon said it was non significant and shouldn't be a problem. It's so normal to be nervous and scared! The weekend before, I shut myself in seclusion and didn't want to talk with anyone except for the friends I have met online that have already gone through this. Diane
stacey C.
on 7/28/03 6:19 am - saucier, ms
I didnt have diabetes, but was told i was borderline. I was very excited and nervous at the same time..but 22 months out of the surgery....i am thankful everyday. i weighed 308 the morning of my surgery and today i weighed 160. i am 5'9"tall. You are going to be fine.
Pam G.
on 8/17/03 1:32 am - Byhalia, MS
Hi Rebecca, I was diabetic - and 30 days after my surgery I was taken off all meds and have not had a high blood sugar reading since. (I still check it weekly) I had back surgery and never missed a month of having at least one week of back pain, and about every 3 months I usually spent a week in bed with it. Since losing the first 50 pounds - almost no back pain at all. In the past 10.5 months I have not had to go to bed with my back once. I snored so bad my husband had to move into his own bedroom. I do not snore at all now. I was depressed. I still take anti depressnts, but half the amount I was and I am hopeful since I exercise so much that will eventually go away. I have more energy than I have had in years and I feel great. I could hardly walk before. Climbing 2 or 3 steps would make me sweat and I would breath so hard I was ashamed to walk in the office after walking them. Now, I walk 1-2 miles a day and do 30 minutes of aerobics every day. My life is mine again. Good Luck to you. Pam German 10.5 months -136 pounds
Most Active