What to take to the hospital? (St. Alexius)

beth_in_stlouis
on 4/28/05 1:20 am - Denver, CO
All, For those who have been to St. Alexius, or even those who have not, what should I take to the hospital?? I figure I will take a book or two, some personal grooming items like a brush, toothbrush, deodorant, etc. What else should I take? Thanks!! - Beth
Traci K.
on 4/28/05 2:04 am - Sullivan, MO
Your robe and slippers for sure. You'll be doing your laps around the halls to get in your walking. I actually chose to wear their gowns, instead of my own. I didn't want to get drainage and 'stuff' on my own gown. I didn't find much time for reading really, when I wasn't walking or being interrupted by a nurse or doctor checking my pulse - I was sleeping! You may want to bring your own pillow, but keep in mind, that it might get something on it, but some folks just sleep better with their own. Of course, that won't make up for their uncomfortable beds - but it might help!
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/05 2:13 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Bring the chapstick. That and slippers are REALLY the only things you'll need. St. Alexius will give you a hospital bag full of goodies, including lotion, deodarant, and a toothbrush, so I wouldn't bother dragging along extras. You might want toothpaste (can't remember if they give that) and a hairbrush. And of course, you'll want clean clothes for when you go home. You CAN take a magazine, but chances are you won't even pick it up. In my opinion, it's best to take as few items as possible, because who wants to drag all that stuff home. As for your other post about being scared...you're going to be just fine. If you look at my profile, you can see how freaked out I was. 10 months later, I look back and chastise myself for wasting so much energy on being scared. I made myself sick for nothing, and you are doing the same thing. Obviously, you can't help how you feel, and there is little that anyone can say to get those feelings of fear out of your head. Just hang in there...it will all be over soon enough. Pamela -97
beth_in_stlouis
on 4/28/05 10:15 pm - Denver, CO
Pamela, Thanks for the info. Chapstick! I didn't have that on my list, but you are absolutely right on that one! Regarding the anxiety stuff, thanks for your perspective. You are right; in months from now I will be giving myself hell for having wasted all that energy focused on what could go wrong, etc. Thanks!! - Beth
Shelly LaChance
on 4/28/05 2:30 am - Chester, IL
Cell Phone you can use it in your room..They are very nice there..if you need a fan just ask them and they will get you one..your going to just love the ice chips..and when your cleared ask for hot decaf. tea oh my it tasted so good...best of luck to you ... you will do just great.. Shelly
TaraLynn
on 4/28/05 6:52 am - Lee's Summit, MO
Cell phones are not really a good idea. The hospital that I was in had some special equipment that had to be calibrated very carefully and unfortunately cell phone signals messed with the calibrations. I would check with your hospital before taking one. Not to mention when you are asleep someone could pick it up. I know no one wants to think that way, but we live in a crazy world. Everyone has already thought of my ideas. OH yeah, if you have a CPAP machine you should take that. Take care, Tara
Jennifer C.
on 4/29/05 1:02 am - STL, MO
Beth, I was at St. Alexius on April 18. Everyone was so nice, and I have no complaints. I felt fine afterwards and took no pain medication, although I had the lap band. Pam is my daughter and we both had good experiences there. St. Alexius called me yesterday for a post op questionaire, and I had to laugh at the one question of "how was the food".
Marion
on 4/29/05 4:55 am - St. Louis, MO
They told me to bring NOTHING to the hospital except my C-PAP. Since you go into the hospital through the Same Day Surgery area, there is no place to put anything you bring in. They told me to have my husband bring me whatever I wanted once I got assigned a room on the regular floor. (Since I had open RNY I spent the first night in ICU and they don't want anything in the way.) When they moved me to the 5th floor, my hubby brought in my cell phone and a picture of my kitties. I really didn't need anything else. I didn't have much time to read since I was sleeping so much and when I wasn't sleeping, I was walking the halls. I loved going down the hall to the Social Room where they have a whole wall caged off full of little song birds. What a CHEERFUL place! They didn't have a problem with cell phone usage in the room, but you definately don't want to have it with you before you get to your real room. I slept with my phone tucked into my bed with me so it was not laying out where anyone could see/take it. You'll be GREAT. Everything will be smooth sailing and soon you'll be a loser, just like the rest of us! *hug* Marion
Eileen C.
on 4/29/05 8:45 pm - St. Louis, MO
Hi.....sooo happy for you....everyone is hooking you up very well for the hospital experience here....I brought a bar of my own soap though...I don't like that hospital soap and it's nice to smell nice...the medicine can make it hard to focus on a book but i enjoyed magazines....and if your machine starts beeping and driving you insane...don't let them tell you they can't fix it...mostly they were very very nice. Eileen
Most Active
Recent Topics