Yikes! My pre-op tests were awful!

MeMagee
on 4/26/05 6:38 am - arnold, MO
So I've been looking at the surgery and went for my evaluation today. My blood sugars showed in the "diabetic" range, my blood pressure was too high for me to exercise and my weight was 25 pounds OVER what I expected. Now, I am skeptical about the blood sugar and blood pressure because I have them monitored regularly and have NEVER seen those results....Either way, maybe I am doing this in the nick of time before I completely keel over. It seems so drastic....I am so desperate to change my life....can someone say something to help me be less apprehensive? I've got a few more tests and then we can talk about the surgery date. (BTW - I have been reading this site without posting for months)
Jennifer C.
on 4/26/05 6:45 am - STL, MO
Hi, I had the lapband done April 18. My lab results were also high, and I have them checked also, and they've been normal. Don't worry. Although I didn't have the same surgery you're having, my daughter did. She came through with flying colors and is so much healthier now. She exercises 4-5 times a week and is looking great. She's lost 94 lbs. since July. Good Luck, Jennifer from Arnold
Traci K.
on 4/26/05 8:55 pm - Sullivan, MO
Hello! Glad to finally 'meet' you! I know that blood pressure and blood sugars can be affected by stress; and sometimes, just going to the doctor's office or having tests can be enough stress to raise your levels. I believe they call this 'white coat syndrome'. The good news is that the chances are extremely good that this surgery will bring all those tests results to NORMAL! When I had my surgery, I was diabetic, had uncontrolled high blood pressure, GERD, etc.... and it's all GONE! I feel great!!!! Traci -89 250/161/149
MeMagee
on 4/27/05 3:58 am - arnold, MO
I want to post a thanks here to my 2 repliers.....Traci - I love the picture - I can't wait to have one I like of ME. Imagine my surprise to find out Jennifer was a local! Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to answer back.. I feel better today ladies. I've got to shed about 20 pounds before surgery - that's my next hurdle....my other option is to grow an inch or two in height so I can get the bmi down....hmmmm
Sherry W.
on 4/27/05 4:03 am - Moberly, MO
I am trying for the gasstric bypass, and I went to the Dr.s to have my heart, lungs, blood tests done. My blood sugar was high and they told me I had to lower that before I had surgery. She said if I worked at it, It would only take a few weeks to get that number down. I wish you luck, it is so nice to be able to talk to others who are going thru the same thing!
Terri B.
on 5/2/05 12:09 am - St. Louis, MO
Hi! I'm not too far away from you - best of luck with your tests and surgery!~ Terri
Most Active
Recent Topics