Questions about Post Op Hospital Stay

kimberwhit66
on 1/2/06 9:30 am - Davison, MI
Okay, I've been reading posts and info for a while now and I have a few questions regarding things that you go through post op in the hospital. If anyone wants to give me some input that would be great. Here they are: 1. Do you have a catheder after surgery? I've never had one..don't really want one.. sounds scary. 2. If no catheder..or once it's removed..do you have to go to the bathroom in a bedpan??? I couldn't do it after breast reductions surgery and I don't think that's gonna change... 3. What's all the (negative) talk about the tube down the nose deal. Doesn't sound fun, or even a little bit entertaining.... 3. Has anyone had surgery who knows they get very neauseated? I came out of the anesthetic throwing up last time and it took a good 24 hours before I didn't feel queesy from the drugs.. I guess that's it for now. I'm a little concerned about the personal hygiene aspects too.. I like to be CLEAN!!!
tunafish88
on 1/2/06 9:51 am - Chelsea, MI
WLS was my first surgery and my first time overnight in a hospital, so the whole thing was a little daunting to me! My catheter was put in while I was out for surgery. It was taken out the next day. It didn't hurt or anything like that when they took it out. There was just a weird pressure kinda feeling like I had to pee as she was removing it. But after it was out, no problems. They wanted us to get up and move so going to the bathroom was a good thing. No bedpans for me! The tube down the nose was put there while I was out. They did pull it the next day. I did not find this to be anything particulary difficult to deal with. For me, there was so much other stuff going on, that little things like that were nothing. Not that I had any complications or anything like that, just that things like the nose tube weren't that big of a deal to me. I can't help you with number 3. I did not experience any nausea upon waking up. I could've taken a shower the day after surgery, but they did the other lady in the room first. By the time they were done with her and ready to do me, my hubby had to leave and I just didn't feel like dealing with strangers and the shower. I know they are nurses, but just didn't feel like it. So I opted to wait until the next morning, although I did brush my teeth and what not that day. Glad I waited because at Hurley, they put the WLS patients in the burn unit. The next morning the nurse took me to a therapy room that had a large shower....as large as a small room! It was much better taking a shower in there than in the little shower in the room. I felt a little more close to normal and didn't require any extra help, except when I had to put on my sock-slippers...she had to do that for me. I'm kinda like you in the respect that personal hygiene and other personal issues are a concern for me. But frankly, I really didn't care that much that first day after surgery. I had surgery at 7:30 in the morning and the rest of the day is pretty much a wash. I know my husband sat there with me the whole day, but I barely remember him being there. Good luck on your surgery! Hope all goes well! Tina 335/233/140-ish
Wendy Kipp
on 1/2/06 9:56 am - MI
Tubes and catheters are put in while you are out and are really not that bad. Removal is a little uncomfortable, but not bad. No bed pan. You will be moving the same day of surgery. Bring long tongs to the hospital to help you wipe yourself. You will need them unless your support person is willing to wipe you. I personally did not want anyone else wiping me so I brought the tongs and they work great. You will need them at home for awhile also. I also bought the cottonelle toilet wipes to use with them for after a bm and the help alot. I don't get sick from anesthesia, but if you tell the anesthetist that you get sick, they can give you something in the IV to stop that, or at least keep it to a minimum. They don't give it to you unless you ask prior to surgery. Wendy
Sheryl
on 1/2/06 10:12 am - Kalamazoo Area, MI
Hi Kim. Ok here's the scoop. 1. You have a catheter during surgery, which is inserted while you are under the anesthesia and is taken out after surgery. Removal is painless. It is held in by a small balloon which is deflated and the catheter just slides out. 2. Once the catheter is out, you are getting up to use the potty. 3. It's not typical to have a tube down your nose. I'm not sure where you read that. 4. Tell the anesthesialogist and they can give you something for the nausea. There are changes / improvements every year in anesthesia. As to the hygiene, some who have problems reaching that area recommend taking tongs (or the like) and wipes. I didn't have that problem and the hospital gave me wipes. Ask your doc how soon after surgery you can have a shower. Trust me, and this is from a woman that 12 hours after my c-section I was bent over the bathroom sink washing my hair, you won't care for the first few days about a shower. But come day 3 I got in and it was WONDERFUL just to sit under the ho****er. (Lesson here: ho****er after major surgery makes one feel faint). Hope this helps. Sheryl In the Zoo
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/06 10:37 am - Oak park, MI
1. Do you have a catheder after surgery? I've never had one..don't really want one.. sounds scary. It is no big deal. Trust me, you will be grateful you have it in. Not having to get up to use the restroom is a blessing. They do this for your comfort. They do it while you are out and taking it out is pretty easy. 2. If no catheder..or once it's removed..do you have to go to the bathroom in a bedpan??? I couldn't do it after breast reductions surgery and I don't think that's gonna change... Oh no, You will be up within hours of surgery. They do not take it out until the day you leave usually. 3. What's all the (negative) talk about the tube down the nose deal. Doesn't sound fun, or even a little bit entertaining.... Hmmmm, not sure about that. Unless you have severe respiratory problems, this probably will not happen. Out of 9 people in my immediate family who had WLS, none had this. 3. Has anyone had surgery who knows they get very neauseated? I came out of the anesthetic throwing up last time and it took a good 24 hours before I didn't feel queesy from the drugs.. The very first time I had surgery in the 90's I woke up very nauseous. I have not since. They have this really great drug they put into your IV if you are. It works instantly. Make sure you tell them if you do get sick.
Jeani
on 1/2/06 10:57 am - West Branch, MI
1) After surgery, the cathetar is the last thing you're worried about, can't really feel it while it is in - they put it in while you are under. 2) Once they remove the cathetar you'll be getting up to use the rest room, no bed pan! 3) I had a tube down my nose - only problem I had with it was it interferred with my c pap machine. They removed it the day after my surgery. 4) Tell the anasteioligist (sp) that you get nauseated and they can give you something through your IV which will keep it from happening. I got nauseated with my 1st surgery, and haven't since because I made sure I let them know and they take care of it. 5) They want you up and moving asap - a shower is no problem. Jeani V
RhondaShoemaker
on 1/2/06 9:19 pm - Shelby Township, MI
You are going to have your surgery at Henry Ford. This is the scoop: Yes, you get a catheder, but it is taken out the next day. It is put in after you are put under. There is a toilet in the bathroom. You pull the curtain around the toilet for privacy. Like everyone else, there was a little pressure when they removed it. I did not have a nose tube. When I had neurosurgery in 1990 I had one to help with the nausea. I did not get naseaued. The morphine pump was great! Showering...I was able to take one the morning I left, but you probably could take a sponge bath before then. You incisions are covered.
Most Active
Recent Topics