Shopping today felt so foreign!

Madelaine2000
on 10/22/12 5:30 am
So I have lost 58 pounds (should be 60 by now but I had some tummy troubles, stopped my protein shakes and havent gotten anywhere near my protein goals) New protein powder on order so not to worry. Did my measurements and have lost 2.5 off the arms, 3 off the thighs and 8 off the stomach and 8 off the thighs..Im so happy with those numbers so far.

But in my head Im still FAT. I went shopping today NOT at Penningtons but at Suzy Shier and Rickis (never had much use for those stores before) and took all the wrong sizes into the fitting room. I had automatically picked out the biggest size they have hoping that it would fit.

It was nice and quiet so I told the sales lady of my recent weight loss and after congratulating me, she teased me that I will swim in the stuff I picked out. She was right..I was way off on the sizes.  

She took back all my wrong stuff and among smaller fitting tops she picked out for me, she found me a beautiful, form fitting pair of black dress pants in a size 14!!! What??!! My last pair of jeans and dress pants I bought from Penningtons in March (2 months before surgery) were a 22-24 .Unbelievable..and even though all stores have a somewhat different way of sizing their items,  these still would not  be the 22 I used to wear. I am so happy right now!!!!

Now I just need to remember this next time Im shopping..I need to see and believe that I really am smaller. Not as easy and you would think when for so long you just hoped that the biggest size in the cheaper stores would fit. Im so thankful everyday that I was able to have this surgery and what an absolute blessing it has been in my life.

P.S. I am two pounds from onederland and really aching to not see a "2" first when I step on the scale.

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

charleenc
on 10/22/12 5:40 am - Canada
Congrats on the weight loss.  It's takes a long time to finally realize that you are smaller than you think.  I just came back from a new fall wardrobe shop in Chicago over the weekend and still have the habit of picking all the largest sizes thinking that they won't fit but then try them on and they are like a sack on me or the pants are falling off.   Hard to believe that you can shop in all the store you never thought you would go into but once you start trying things on it's amazing how great you feel.     
BCwaiting
on 10/22/12 7:02 am - Canada
Congratulations Madeline, I too was the same size and weight as you a year ago. I started dieting and loosing weight in anticipation of the surgery so lost quite a bit even befoe I had my surgery which was only a week after you. Today, I am down to 145 pounds and like you, cannot believe it. I don't ever remember weighing this little. Even in high school, I was 160 lbs. So, like you, I have no idea what size of clothes to wear. People keep teasing me, telling me my clothes are way to big on me, even after I have put smaller ones on. It is hard to believe that when they give you a size 12 or 14 that they will fit, but they do!! Crazy! I still want to loose anther 20 pounds and them I am at my ideal weight for 5'1". Wonder what size I will be wearing then? I am lucky if I loose 1 pound a week now, so it may take a long time to loose that last 20 pounds, but, I am so glad that I have lost and can keep it off now, a little longer wait will be fine. Wish you luck. Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
justmest
on 10/23/12 1:00 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 Foreign, But amazing right?????
I have actually enjoyed shopping sooooo much!! 

We need to get together soon, and you need to text me, I have lost your number and can't figure out how to look at old messages here now since the board changed

Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

rainyone
on 10/24/12 7:20 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I agree it is so weird to shop now. I can buy clothes at Costco, superstore , rickis , and regular stores! I'm in about a 14 or large top at last check. My size 14 jeans I can now get on and off without unbuttoning them!

I don't have to grab the largest size and when something fits or looks good - I have to resist getting it JUST because it does . I'm also finding it harder to tell my stepdaughters clothes from mine ( she's itty bitty - small sizes ) before there was NEVER any doubt whose shirt or jeans they were. Now with things like tank tops and underwear its harder to tell .

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active