Looking for Support - 26 YEARS post op RYN

feralmama
on 4/25/09 8:08 am
I had WLS in 1983.  Back then, it was a fairly rare surgery.  There was no post-op followup, there were no support support groups and there was no aftercare whatsoever.   I couldnt even tell you if I had the RYN or a DS but after researching on the internet, I think its RYN along with a gallbladder removal at the time.

The surgery was not sucessful for me for weight loss, but I blame that mostly on my ignorance and lack of resources.  For years I have suffered in silence, too embarrassed or ashamed to admit what the surgery was that I had.  I only told my husband the truth last night after telling my GP a few days ago.

For years I have suffered with worsening muscle cramps, heart palpitations, mild chest pain, inability to gauge external temperature or to warm up, depression, abdominal pain and what I know now is dumping after almost every meal, bloating and debilitating flatulence.  As hard as this is to believe, I had never made the connection in my head between my WLS and the symptoms.

This past Tuesday, my doctor told me that my Iron and b12 was very low.  I am unsure of the B12 but the Iron was 6, apparently its supposed to be around 35-40?

She told me to take OTC supplements but didnt tell me how much.  Right now, Im winging it with 300mg Ferrous Sulfate and 2000mcg B12 daily along with a chewable multivit.  

I am going to see her again on May 4 but I think I am actually going to an emergency room later today to talk to someone, anyone about this and the symptoms Im having.  I am just terrified as I read the symptoms of iron and b12 deficiencies and I dont even want to think about Calcium and I am in panic mode.  I have almost every single symptom that i have read about and have them for YEARS.

The moral of this post is not to scare anyone but to hope that anyone who has any helpful information in Canada could contact me.. and also to reinforce for those of you who have had the surgery, please please continue with your aftercare and post op followups.  I know personally how very important they are now.

Thank you.

I had the surgery performed in New Westminister by a Dr. TK Stevenson in the fall of 1983.  I have never seen a doctor for followup since I left the hospital about a week after the surgery.  I wonder if there is a doctor in Winnipeg, or if there are resources available for followup now?

I wish I knew then, what I have only recently found out now. Things could have been so much different.
petite_jolie
on 5/26/09 1:49 am - Canada
I am currently trying to find a doctor or nurse to help me with my WLS journey. I guess the government thinks that because the surgeries are not done here we shouldn't have support here. I'm trying to change that. If you want to talk more please message me. I will help you any way that I can. Good luck!
TammyLynne
on 6/19/09 1:14 am - Canada
RNY on 11/13/07 with
I take a handfull of  vitamins twice a day..... I get my levels checked every 3 months and so far everything is awesome.
  If you want to chat email me  [email protected]    
  I live just south of Winnipeg..

Good luck my dear!
Most Active